Bad smell after cooking

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katre

Reaction score
Hello. I continue my work on making liquid soap. I make it with olive oil and coconut oil in different proportions. I'm doing 0% superfat. But I could not prevent the bad smell after the cooking stage. Its color becomes perfect after 2-3 hours of cooking at approximately 70 degrees Celsius. I mix a small amount of pure water and test for clarity, the result is excellent. However, at the end of cooking, a heavy smell remains in the soap. Even when I put essential oil, the bad smell does not go away. Anyone experienced this before?

I tried with different ratios and different oils, but every time after cooking, a heavy smell remains.

How are you cooking your soap? It sounds to me that you may have used too high a heat and scorched it.
I cook with an electric heater, I cook at a very, very low temperature. Sometimes the temperature can reach 100 degrees Celsius

Also, are you sure that your pot is stainless steel? If it contains other metals that could be a problem.
At first, I made it with Teflon cookware, it was really a big problem. But now I cook with stainless steel

I cook with an electric heater, I cook at a very, very low temperature. Sometimes the temperature can reach 100 degrees Celsius
100c is boiling and is a very high temp for soapmaking, not a low one. Unless you are carefully following a high-temperature process for making liquid soap, where it is only at that high temperature very briefly, @lsg is correct that probably you are scorching your soap.

Too hot most likely, you produced an almost ammonia type substance that stinks of cat urine to some. Some ingredients produce this worse than others. Especially at higher temps. If possible try copper pot or water bath?

Hi Katra!
Wave.gif

Hello. I continue my work on making liquid soap.
Before going any further, please read:
BASIC BEGINNER LIQUID SOAP AND INFORMATION
You can also check out "Tutorials - Liquid Soap" in the top menu. The Shampoo Tutorial has pictures of the process.

At first, I made it with Teflon cookware,
Oh dear. That's what we call "a rookie mistake". Experienced soapmakers know NOT to use Teflon for making soap. Go to:
LOVIN' SOAP STUDIO to understand the basics of making CP (Cold Process) Soap. It provides a foundation for making liquid soap as well -- such as, safety precautions and equipment.

To make it easier for us to diagnose what went wrong it's best to provide a printout of your calculations. SoapCalc is the one most commonly used by soapmakers here and on YouTube.

Once you have your printout, post it in the RECIPE FEEDBACK forum for help. Add all pertinent info as you did at the start of this thread. This will help us to help you troubleshoot any problems you have.
HAPPY SOAPING! :computerbath:

Last edited:
...If possible try copper pot...

But ... please do not use utensils or containers made or copper or brass for making soap. Exposing soap (or fat) to copper or copper alloys will cause the soap (or fat) to become rancid quickly. Not something I want for my soap!

I agree with the overheating. And 2-3 hours is a very long time to cook soap, especially at 100 C / 212 F.

But ... please do not use utensils or containers made or copper or brass for making soap. Exposing soap (or fat) to copper or copper alloys will cause the soap (or fat) to become rancid quickly. Not something I want for my soap!

I agree with the overheating. And 2-3 hours is a very long time to cook soap, especially at 100 C / 212 F.
I use copper that are food grade stainless lined so chemicals don't react to it so easily. I should have mentioned that, sorry.

Latest posts

Back