Bad salicylic acid?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PuddinAndPeanuts

Reaction score
Anybody know a quick easy way to know if salicylic acid is good? I was thinking of just checking to see if the PH is right, but I can't find the PH of it listed anywhere. (Feeling a bit dumb about that- it doesn't seem like that should be tough to figure out..)

I recently got some salicylic acid off of eBay, and I think I got taken. I just made a sugar scrub (personal use) that was 90% oils and 10% salicylic acid. Now, my face responds well to harsh stuff, so I was expecting a "pleasantly ouchy" experience. Other than the exfoliation from the sugar, this was utterly ooomph-less.

I was making the Whitfield's foot ointment with it several weeks ago, and with a higher concentration of salicylic than what I got from the pharmacy, the ointment seemed far weaker.

Did the seller have an MSDS available? That's one way I check for legitimacy/accuracy of products. (It's also in my policy & procedure manual if I ever get my business going.)

Back