Bad practices 101

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mishmish

Reaction score
I just got an unsolicited email that raised my blood pressure to the danger zone. I don't know how the heck I got on this mailing list but the website is over-the-top self-promotion and breaking FDA regulations. Apparently this stuff (goat's milk soaps and creams) cures everything from diabetic lesions to age spots to eczema. Unpreserved creams trigger me - mold is invisible until it ain't. I don't know if it's worth naming names, but whoever this is should reexamine their business practices. Rant over.

I recently came across a Kickstarter that made similar claims about goats milk soap. Maybe it is a miracle and we just haven’t trusted the makers enough to blindly listen. /sarcasm

if they are making medical claims I think you can report them to the FDA. I’ve never looked into that so I’m not sure how easy to find the process is

I just got an unsolicited email that raised my blood pressure to the danger zone. I don't know how the heck I got on this mailing list but the website is over-the-top self-promotion and breaking FDA regulations. Apparently this stuff (goat's milk soaps and creams) cures everything from diabetic lesions to age spots to eczema. Unpreserved creams trigger me - mold is invisible until it ain't. I don't know if it's worth naming names, but whoever this is should reexamine their business practices. Rant over.

While a good quality goat milk soap really is good for eczema, unless it has been tested by the FDA and you are licensed to make medical claims...it is just soap made with goat milk instead of water.

I found the contact page and am writing to her. I'm trying to be tactful, but I'm at a loss for words: the claims include curing acne, diabetic lesions, eczema, lice, menopause, psoriasis, rashes, and wrinkles. No weights listed for products, no ingredient lists (mentions goat milk, lard and lye for the soap but that's it) and the one product that had a visible label was a lip cream that contains: goat milk, distilled water, sweet almond oil, avocado oil, shea butter, emulsifying wax, palm steric (sic) acid, Optien (sic), Uncented (sic). As far as I know, Optiphen isn't lip safe, so of course she's putting it in the one product that she shouldn't...while she says that none of her products contain preservatives. She claims that because goat milk is rich in selenium, her soap "protects your skin from the sun and cellular damage caused by the sun"! I understand being in love with goats, I understand that good soap may actually help with some skin conditions simply because it's gentler and has more glycerin than generic drug store soap. But there are limits to hyperbole: her peppermint soap will "RelieveIng (sic) Muscle and Joint Pain, migraine headaches, arthritis among other ailments that people have". And I don't know how the heck she got my email addy to spam me with her magical goat milk soap propaganda.

I found the contact page and am writing to her. I'm trying to be tactful, but I'm at a loss for words:...

Imagine that she's someone you care about, and she's asked you to proofread her email and give advice. That might help with being tactful.

With that laundry list of cures, though... I don't think she believes any of those things. It reads like "snake-oil salesman" claims, and people like that only care about selling product.

I see this all the time in pop-up adds on facebook. I made the mistake of commenting on one making huge claims and was attacked by a slew of people once. Never again. I see this my fairs when I do them. I don't believe goat's milk does anything in soap due to the lye and saponification. I make milk soaps but I don't make claims as I don't believe it does anything the short time is on the skin.

I believe a good handmade soap is good for the skin, it has helped my skin leaps and bounds but I'm not going to make claims. I make soap.

So with that, good luck! Curious to see how or if they respond.

And I don't know how the heck she got my email addy to spam me with her magical goat milk soap propaganda.

SHE didn't. It's not personal. You put your email address on some website somewhere and it ended on a mailing list which she in turn purchased from somewhere else.

While she might be a reasonable person, the odds are far greater that she won't be and you would be better off just taking a screenshot and forwarding it to the FDA with a complaint.

My family and I are ones who see great skin improvement (including eczema) from using hand-crafted soap, esp goat-milk-lard soap.

But that could be because of the things that aren’t in my soap, compared to things that are in the commercial stuff: detergents, dyes, strong synthetic fragrances, etc.

Without scientific testing, I simply can’t make any claims. But we do benefit from the difference, which is why I started making soap. Now it is just my cover story for the addiction.:nodding:

When I purchase anything on the internet, I always put this in the comment box, "Please do not share my information."
Good idea! I never thought of that.

I also make GM soaps because they sell, not because they do anything special. No soap really does anything special it is just nicer to use than store-bought and it sells! If they did I would not have to go to the doctor for my eczema.
Exactly. I make goat milk soap too, and some (mostly new) customers immediately ask for it and they seem surprised that I would make any other kind of soap - I guess they've encountered the magical goat milk soap vendors and have bought the line.

I tried to report an ad like this that was on Facebook. I found the FDA website to be tricky to navigate. Does anyone know how to report these sorts of claims to the FDA?

Latest posts

Back