Bad DOS

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
6 months ago I made a test batch with 17% pumpkin seed oil just to use up a bottle I had before it went bad.

I never did get around to trying a bar but decided I would tonight. I pulled the bag out of storage and found the worse DOS yet (except for the 100% canola). All bars had multiple spots and one bar was almost all orange.

They smelled bad too, really, really bad. My other experiences with DOS never had such a nasty, rancid scent, maybe the tallow had something to do with it too.

Decided to try one anyway, I wanted to see how the pumpkin seed oil performed. Well, not only was it too stinky to use, the high tallow recipe just wasn't that great. Ended up switching to a different bar.

This is the last time I use a oil with a short shelf life, those were expensive bars and they all went in the trash.

Yeah, I probably wouldn't have used it much anyways. I just don't like tallow all that well, I can only guess I used it because I was out of lard and too lazy to go buy more.

Oh, thats no fun... my first batch ever was an HP soap with crisco and canola oil and it STUNK to high heaven in 3 months.

I also didnt know soap could go rancid and I put it in my first homemade laundry soap. Imagine your clothes with that smell. Oh, and if you wanted to know, the smell gets "activated" by sweating. I tried re-batching the rancid bars after I found out. Then, not only did my clothes stink, but so did my entire house. Glad you just trashed them! And that was the ONLY batch I've ever trashed...

All the bars were 100% orange. I did A LOT of research before making a HP/CP batch again. Took 8 months of straight research before I touched HP/CP soap again! They were so orange I thought "what do they mean spots? Was my bar this color when I made it? I don't think so?"

I think I wrote a thread about that mishap when I first joined.

Oh man! That's a drag. I use pumpkin seed oil in my pumpkin soap but only at 5% so far no trouble. My bars from last fall are still good. I won't even try to go higher after hearing your experience.

I'm so tempted to just throw all my cured batches in the fridge/freezer. Sometimes I have old cooking oil that I don't want to consume and we go through soap soooo slowly. My family won't get bars off me because they think bar soap is unsanitary.

Pumpkin seed oil sounds so fancy! Can you take a pic or have you already tossed it? Morbid curiosity.

Effy (The Efficacious Gentleman) was enamored of pumpkin seed oil awhile back. Wonder if he has seen similar problems with his soaps?

I have been keeping an eye in here but haven't been down in to my storage room (shoe boxes on a shelf in the cellar) to check them out. I did mine hp with some of the pumpkinseed oil in the soap itself but then also as superfat. They were unscented and lost the nutty smell petty quickly to just smell like oils.

The colour did fade to a yellowish green, but I'll pull out a bar for inspection this evening

Latest posts

Back