Bad Butter

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, My name is Luanne and my very 1st post.

I just received an order from a vendor of Shea butter, 10 pounds to be exact. The color looks a bit off and I'm trying to see if its rancid. This may sound like a silly question but I'm new to all of this soap making stuff. Any advice would be deeply appreciated

Shea can range from a very light ivory to a vivid yellow. Most often, its a light yellow.
It has a fairly unusual odor too, I think it smells pretty awful myself.

If it is actually going bad, it will have a sharp rancid smell. I've never seen a color change in rancid butters.

Hi, and welcome.
What do you mean by 'off'? What color is it?
Does it smell bad?
As a beginner, you may want to start with smaller amounts... 10lb of shea butter would go a *really* long way in making soap. (I mean... if you use it at 20%, for instance, then you could make 50 1-lb batches! That's a lot of batches.)

As mentioned above, refined Shea can be almost white, but unrefined Shea will be off-white yellow/brown-ish and will have a distinct Shea-like smell. Maybe like putty or clay...it's hard to describe. It can be an odd scent if you're not used to it, but not a rancid or bad oil smell.

In my experience, Shea does not go bad easily. But then, we always order from quality suppliers and use it up fairly quickly.

Did you buy unrefined shea butter or refined? Refined won't have much of a smell to it (at least the refined I buy is white and doesn't have a smell), but the unrefined is a different story.

I've only ever bought the unrefined kind once (from a good supplier) and it was darker in color and had a very off-putting smell my nose, but definitely not a rancid smell, which is a totally different kind of a smell of its own. I could tell the shea was fresh, but its natural scent was just not my cup of tea. I had bought a pound of it to use in body butter, and I remember that every single fragrance oil I used to scent my body butter (with the exception of one), the natural shea scent would always bully its way through and ruin it for my nose. Ever since then, I only buy refined shea.

IrishLass :)

Shea can range from a very light ivory to a vivid yellow. Most often, its a light yellow.
It has a fairly unusual odor too, I think it smells pretty awful myself.

If it is actually going bad, it will have a sharp rancid smell. I've never seen a color change in rancid butters.
Thank you so much for your reply.. Its light yellow it looked almost grayish in the plastic. It smells okay. I opened it up and it's fine. It's amazing once you add all the bells and whistles it turns into a beautiful product. lol.

Hi, and welcome.
What do you mean by 'off'? What color is it?
Does it smell bad?
As a beginner, you may want to start with smaller amounts... 10lb of shea butter would go a *really* long way in making soap. (I mean... if you use it at 20%, for instance, then you could make 50 1-lb batches! That's a lot of batches.)
Thank you so much for your reply. I live in Florida, pretty hot here now. so I'm home to receive packages. It was right outside my door and it smelled like being on a hot truck. Now that it acclimated to the temperature of my home. This is my second shipment of a 10 pd bag of Shea. I make anywhere from 3 to 5 pounds a day on the weekends more. Finally my products are starting to move. I've thrown away some batches. Or if it's ugly I use myself or give to my sister. Thanks or the advice.

As mentioned above, refined Shea can be almost white, but unrefined Shea will be off-white yellow/brown-ish and will have a distinct Shea-like smell. Maybe like putty or clay...it's hard to describe. It can be an odd scent if you're not used to it, but not a rancid or bad oil smell.

In my experience, Shea does not go bad easily. But then, we always order from quality suppliers and use it up fairly quickly.
Thank you so much for your reply. I use Makeyourownbuzz haven't had a problem thus far, it was unrefined. Trying to find what I like best. I change my recipes frequently..

Did you buy unrefined shea butter or refined? Refined won't have much of a smell to it (at least the refined I buy is white and doesn't have a smell), but the unrefined is a different story.

I've only ever bought the unrefined kind once (from a good supplier) and it was darker in color and had a very off-putting smell my nose, but definitely not a rancid smell, which is a totally different kind of a smell of its own. I could tell the shea was fresh, but its natural scent was just not my cup of tea. I had bought a pound of it to use in body butter, and I remember that every single fragrance oil I used to scent my body butter (with the exception of one), the natural shea scent would always bully its way through and ruin it for my nose. Ever since then, I only buy refined shea.

LOL that is the best advice.. Lesson learned only refined from now on.. Thank you so much for your reply.

Not laughing at you, Irish. It just made me chuckle how off-putting you found the unrefined shea butter. My family tends to use that type of shea butter unscented and sometimes whipped. It's basically what I grew up knowing, besides cocoa butter.

@Island Dreams Soap Unrefined Shea is a love or hate thing. If you have latex allergies, you'd best avoid it. It's also one of those things where I'd actually suggest finding woodsy scents or something to work with the natural scent. You don't want to add something sweet to that. 🤣

Unrefined Shea is a love or hate thing. 🤣
I"m in the LOVE group too, @Arimara! I sometimes rub it straight on my skin, and I leave my deo unscented just so I can smell the Shea.

But now that I know how offensive it it to others (*glances over at @IrishLass and @Island Dreams Soap with an embarrassed look on her face*) maybe I will start adding some EOs. 😁

I"m in the LOVE group too, @Arimara! I sometimes rub it straight on my skin, and I leave my deo unscented just so I can smell the Shea.

But now that I know how offensive it it to others (*glances over at @IrishLass and @Island Dreams Soap with an embarrassed look on her face*) maybe I will start adding some EOs. 😁
Don't be ashamed of what you like. 🤣😁

Not laughing at you, Irish. It just made me chuckle how off-putting you found the unrefined shea butter. My family tends to use that type of shea butter unscented and sometimes whipped. It's basically what I grew up knowing, besides cocoa butter.

@Island Dreams Soap Unrefined Shea is a love or hate thing. If you have latex allergies, you'd best avoid it. It's also one of those things where I'd actually suggest finding woodsy scents or something to work with the natural scent. You don't want to add something sweet to that. 🤣
When it melts it almost looks black, but thank goodness it doesn't change the color. Crazy only 9 pounds to go... lol

I'm confused. Are you selling your soap?
Yes I am selling soap.

Your Shea looks nearly black when melted? That seems odd to me.
The next time I make soap I will take a photo for you.. Lets hope I can navigate back here.
Your Shea looks nearly black when melted? That seems odd to me.
I was trying to attach a photo, but it was seizing my computer up. the end product smells great, looks fine. Once it cures I will try it out on myself before I sell.

Sorry for my delay, I work a full time job in addition to making soap. I tell people, I'm the creator, maker and Janitor. lol I do it all.

Latest posts

Back