Bad at Math?

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

Reaction score
Almighty Soaping Give Mind:

For the life of me I can't make the correct amount of batter no matter how hard I try. Always too much or too little, though I'll take too much over too little any day.

Here is my process:
Mold size (in inches): 11.25x3.25x3.7
135.28 cubic inches. X 0.40= 54oz
So I plug 54oz in for my weight for 1 mold.

Not ever have I gotten the amount I set out for. Thankfully only once have I been woefully under, but I'd really like to know where I'm going wrong.

Thanks so much!

BattleGnome

Reaction score
Did your mold come advertised with a weight. Like Brambleberry has a 5# mold or the crafters choice 2# mold? I have a 2# mold and math my recipe off of that (though that won't help if you made your own mold)

toxikon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did your mold come advertised with a weight. Like Brambleberry has a 5# mold or the crafters choice 2# mold? I have a 2# mold and math my recipe off of that (though that won't help if you made your own mold)
Yep, that's what I do too. I take note of the mold volume as listed on the manufacturer's website, then fiddle with oil amounts in SoapCalc until the oils + lye water amounts add up to that volume. I just made my first batch with a new mold and the amount of batter was absolutely perfect for the mold size.