Bacon Fat

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is triple rendered bacon fat. I’ve gotten as much water out of it as I can, but there is still a little. I’m going to soap with it today. Any suggestions? Should I account for it in any way?
Thank you!

Attachments

• D924A144-69DF-4502-9F24-DC933B991211.jpeg
    D924A144-69DF-4502-9F24-DC933B991211.jpeg
    129.9 KB · Views: 13
The color looks awfully dark for a triple rendered lard. I hope that's an artifact of the camera, not what it looks like in real life!

Next time, if you really want to get all the water out, heat the fat over medium-low direct heat until the melted fat starts to crackle. The sound is the water boiling and turning into steam. When the crackling largely stops, most of the water will be gone. I don't try to heat it until it's silent (especially if using it soon to make soap), but I suppose a person could. Just don't walk away while you're drying out the fat for safety's sake.

Rendering bacon fat is exactly like rendering pork fat straight from the hog. Pork fat can be rendered wet or dry, depending on the person's preference and on the cleanliness of the fat. Bacon fat needs to be wet rendered at least twice to remove color and odor.

Last edited:
The color looks awfully dark for a triple rendered lard. I hope that's an artifact of the camera, not what it looks like in real life!

Next time, if you really want to get all the water out, heat the fat over medium-low direct heat until the melted fat starts to crackle. The sound is the water boiling and turning into steam. When the crackling largely stops, most of the water will be gone. I don't try to heat it until it's silent (especially if using it soon to make soap), but I suppose a person could. Just don't walk away while you're drying out the fat for safety's sake.

Rendering bacon fat is exactly like rendering pork fat straight from the hog. Pork fat can be rendered wet or dry, depending on the person's preference and on the cleanliness of the fat. Bacon fat needs to be wet rendered at least twice to remove color and odor.
This is bacon fat. We rendered it with water 3 times to clean it. I used similar before and the soap is great! I just realized it has some water left in it. And since I’ve learned more about making soap since that last batch I thought I’d check.
thank you!

Back