Back up your hard drive while you still can

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

earlene

Grandmother & Soaper
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know this, of course, but didn't. After all, my computer was only 15 months of age. I had plenty of time yet to back it up, right? Wrong.

Lost everything. One morning it was working, then later that day it was making a constant clicking noise. I have never had a hard drive fail at such a young age, so truly wasn't expecting this. My last laptop lasted me about 6 years and although I had replaced one of the HD's, I had backed it up first.

Especially back it up before the warranty expires! I know this too, did I pay attention that morning when the pop-up that my warranty had expired and did I want to buy an extended warranty? No, I simply went on about my business and thought, maybe when I get back from xxx I will do something about this. Too late, when I got back the computer did not have an operating system anymore because it didn't have a hard drive anymore.

So I was without a computer for a couple of weeks or so. Yes, I might send it out for recovery and I might not. I can still re-install all the software I had on it. But some of the files (mostly soap recipes) are gone, although I do have my handwritten copies in my notebook. Now I have a Solid State Drive which I had professionally installed and it has great warranty. But once I get most of the software loaded, I plan to back it up asap. Just to save myself future headaches. Then I need to implement a regular back-up regime. I used to do that when I had tiny storage (remember before hard drives?), don't know why I stopped doing it when the HDs kept getting bigger and bigger.

Luckily all my photos are backed up somewhere, and those are what's most important to me anyway. So sending it out for recovery doesn't make a whole lot of sense cost wise.

Re-creating my browser favorites will be a pain, but that's another thing I used to back up periodically and don't anymore, so it's my own fault. Oh, well. It's not that tough to start from scratch all over again.

One thing I have to say about a Solid State Drive is this: My laptop never gets warm now! In fact in the morning, it's downright COLD to the touch. That takes some getting used to!

Sorry to hear that Earlene. I really feel for you.
You can loose all or part of your data in so many ways - not just hard drive failure. A virus, software failure, accidental deletion etc.

Some of the external drives make the process easy and some make it a nightmare. Talk to someone techie before you buy a new one if you are thinking of getting a new external hard drive.

This is the reason I Stopped buying Laptops. After 2 went, one was $900 and lasted 3 years, other was just over 1 year when the hinge broke and it is a KNOWN fault in HP !!! $600 wasted- While it still works I have to keep the screen at a certain angle.

I know own a gaming desktop, SUPER FAST, no I don't game, and I use Fire Fox so all I need to do is log into my FF and all my stuff is there ;)

I will be backing up soon, but I don't have anything to back up. Anything i WANT to keep is on paper :rolling: I am old school after loosing a ton of pictures from my trip to German :(

I also have the hard drives from both Laptops, not that they do me any good being in Vista and Windows 1 hahahaha

BUT I CONCUR !! If you have anything you want to keep, BACK UP NOW

This is the reason I Stopped buying Laptops. After 2 went, one was $900 and lasted 3 years, other was just over 1 year when the hinge broke and it is a KNOWN fault in HP !!! $600 wasted- While it still works I have to keep the screen at a certain angle.

I know own a gaming desktop, SUPER FAST, no I don't game, and I use Fire Fox so all I need to do is log into my FF and all my stuff is there ;)

I will be backing up soon, but I don't have anything to back up. Anything i WANT to keep is on paper :rolling: I am old school after loosing a ton of pictures from my trip to German :(

I also have the hard drives from both Laptops, not that they do me any good being in Vista and Windows 1 hahahaha

BUT I CONCUR !! If you have anything you want to keep, BACK UP NOW
I just plain got tired of computer manufacturers and their KNOWN FAULTS. That and all the bloatware... so now I just build my own. Cheaper but with higher quality parts, and I pick the Operating System! No Windows 10 here!

I have a Seagate external drive with an automatic backup utility attached to each computer in my home (4) and DH's office (3). For awhile, I thought DH and his staff could pass one drive around as a communal backup. While this idea was technically do-able, it utterly didn't work in a practical sense. My policy now is to keep us absent minded humans from having to remember to do stuff, so each computer has its own backup drive. It's been a life saver several times and well worth the cost.

A couple of years ago, I lost labels, inventory tracking, and pictures of over 3,500 items that I sell on my online bead store. I too bought an external drive, but I am so paranoid after that fiasco that I subscribed to Carbonite where the computer and the drive are backed up as a just in case. The experience was too painful to repeat.

So sorry this happened to you, Earlene. I feel your pain.

I just plain got tired of computer manufacturers and their KNOWN FAULTS. That and all the bloatware... so now I just build my own. Cheaper but with higher quality parts, and I pick the Operating System! No Windows 10 here!
I built computers for years but never found it cheaper, in fact it cost me more than I could buy a read made for. But I did have much better parts. Now I am old and have no desire to build or fix one. :lol: I have three in my computer room that need fixing, don't want to fix them or get rid of them. I went out and purchased a new one a year ago.

I have a Seagate external drive with an automatic backup utility attached to each computer in my home (4) and DH's office (3). For awhile, I thought DH and his staff could pass one drive around as a communal backup. While this idea was technically do-able, it utterly didn't work in a practical sense. My policy now is to keep us absent minded humans from having to remember to do stuff, so each computer has its own backup drive. It's been a life saver several times and well worth the cost.
I have two auto backup drives that I am also to lazy to install and configure. The auto backup are very nice to use

I recommend burning all your stuff onto CDs (700mb) or DVDs (4.7gb) because magnetic fields have no effect on them and if you take good care of them they can last for 100 years.

I built computers for years but never found it cheaper, in fact it cost me more than I could buy a read made for. But I did have much better parts. Now I am old and have no desire to build or fix one. :lol: I have three in my computer room that need fixing, don't want to fix them or get rid of them. I went out and purchased a new one a year ago.
According to my cost analysis it cost me about $1,000 to build my computer (including the Operating System and parts). Best Buy wanted about $3,000 for a comparable PC. Have been using it for years without any problems.

Stick it.
Once a week.
I use a usb stick for each 'puter I use. Once a week I go into a short routine of "copy to" from documents, pictures and downloads. I export email addy's and browser links once a month since there isn't much changing there.

It is a long process the first time. After that I only copy new or changed files. Takes a short amount of time.

We lost most of daughter #2's second wedding pictures to a HP drive failure. It was a "known problem". :beatinghead:

Sorry to hear that Earlene. I really feel for you.
You can loose all or part of your data in so many ways - not just hard drive failure. A virus, software failure, accidental deletion etc.

Some of the external drives make the process easy and some make it a nightmare. Talk to someone techie before you buy a new one if you are thinking of getting a new external hard drive.

No, I won't be buying any new external HD's; I already have enough of those.

My best friend used to ship his desktop to Hawaii when he went on vacation. I don't travel that way (shipping large items to myself), but he was a computer programmer and needed his PC. Although I am very impressed with the desktops my son has built, it's just not viable for me and my traveling lifestyle. I am away from home almost as often as I am at home, so laptops have been my constant companions for quite a long time, and I don't have a problem with them on the whole. As I said, the last one lasted me about 6 years and the only reason I replaced it was because it was literally falling apart (the case wasn't staying securely together anymore.)

Lin19687, I was so tempted by a gaming laptop the last two times I went computer shopping, but decided I didn't want to put that much money into one, plus some features I prefer are not available on gaming laptops. Maybe they are on the gaming PC's, but I really need a laptop for travel. So you mentioned logging into FF and all your stuff is right there. I wish that worked for me, but that's another thing I did not keep up to date. None of my bookmarks were available. I guess it's because I never synced FF to my tablet or other devices. I kept meaning to get around to doing that, but did not do so. So I started working on that yesterday. Thankfully a lot of my saved site logins were transferred. Now to get my bookmarks back in order.

I recommend burning all your stuff onto CDs (700mb) or DVDs (4.7gb) because magnetic fields have no effect on them and if you take good care of them they can last for 100 years.

I used to do that, but not anymore. Many laptops don't have CD or DVD drives anymore. And to tell a computer store employee that I don't want a laptop unless it has a DVD drive has resulted in insultingly condescending comments from them to me as an apparently 'unsavvy and ancient' consumer who wants to live in the past.

You can get an External CD drive. I bought one when I had the laptop, I didn't have it in the Laptop either. Then I never used it :rolleyes:

I understand why you don't want a desktop. I only bought the Gaming Puter because it was FAST and pretty much had what I needed. Fast processor was the main thing. Has a ton of things I don't need pre-loaded that I just got rid of. My son has a gaming laptop and likes it but MAN is it heavy ! But that is all he uses it for.
My daughter drools over my Puter :p

With FF all you have to do is LOG IN to your FF account (anywhere) and there you go !
I had so many links for work and a few personal ones that I used for work that I just DL FF into the work Puter and went from there. Was easy for me. Course I had to delete Every Last Thing when I left. You don't just log off and it goes away, all the favorites stay :(

You can get an External CD drive. I bought one when I had the laptop, I didn't have it in the Laptop either. Then I never used it :rolleyes:

I actually bought one once, too, but it's so old now, it probably doesn't even work with DVDs. I had purchased a mini laptop with such a small amount of RAM I hated it, but was in a rush to get something after an accident in Pennsylvania destroyed my other laptop. But I hated that thing so much I immediately replaced it with a decent laptop and that dinky thing has been taking up space ever since. It's not even good enough to even give away. Anyway, when I travel I don't like having to carry around extra components; the more self contained my device, the easier it is to travel with.

With FF all you have to do is LOG IN to your FF account (anywhere) and there you go !
I had so many links for work and a few personal ones that I used for work that I just DL FF into the work Puter and went from there. Was easy for me. Course I had to delete Every Last Thing when I left. You don't just log off and it goes away, all the favorites stay :(

Well, I have since made sure to sync my FF between devices, but none of the bookmarks from my laptop carried over at all. Maybe I never signed into my FF account on that HD. Guess, I never thought about it before this. So I truly do get to start from scratch with the bookmarks and folders for bookmarks.

I learned something new with FF today. I discovered I can look at all my connected and formerly connected devices. So my laptop before the HD crash was listed as a device that had been synced, but none of those bookmarks are anywhere to be found. I was hoping I could pull them up somehow, but haven't figured out if it's possible yet. However, because I spent so much time working on so many computer issues today, I am ready to quit for the day and do some actual housework! o_O

housework........... I would rather go through my teenagers puter and find bugs in it. :beatinghead:

btw, you might have sync'd the other laptop one time, but if you logged off and didn't log back/sync then it would not save new bookmarks.
Yeah, I did that before too.
What I hated about FF at work, I had to un-sync, then delete ALL the bookmarks in FF, then delete FF off that puter. Wish you could just un-sync and all your bookmarks would go away.

Last edited:
btw, you might have sync'd the other laptop one time, but if you logged off and didn't log back/sync then it would not save new bookmarks.
Yeah, I did that before too.
What I hated about FF at work, I had to un-sync, then delete ALL the bookmarks in FF, then delete FF off that puter. Wish you could just un-sync and all your bookmarks would go away.

Yeah, I think that's what happened. I am finding browser history from before the HD failure, but not enough that it could have included all my history from the laptop. Probably from my tablet or phone only.

I did learn something else about FF bookmarks syncing. If you have more than 5,000 bookmarks they won't sync. Well, I can't even imagine having 5,000 bookmarks! I did have a lot, lot's and lot's really, but certainly not 5K!

OMG that's funny, 5,000 not in my lifetime.
Sometimes I just save things to look at later. Then about 6 months later I delete them all and 8 months later wish I hadn't :rolleyes:
I have so many Folders and Sub-folders in my FF it's not funny.

Latest posts

Back