Back to work!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ruthie

Reaction score
I teach in public school, and today is our first day! What ever happened to starting in September?!! Each year it is one day earlier, supposedly because of how the days of the week fall, but soon we will be going in July!

Maybe not, though. There are discussions going on about lengthening the school day and going less days, so we could start later. I'm for that extra 30 minutes!

This is all test-driven, unfortunately. Gotta teach those babies everything before the test date in April.

Hi Ruthie, I feel your pain! I am a school counselor, and our first day was yesterday (though I've been back for over a week now). What a short summer! Have a great first day :)

I love teachers. But the school system is a joke. They (The school system, not the teachers) do not encourage they stunt. "BLASPHAMY!" You say? Well examples from schools in NY, Colorado, Florida, california, and Washington:

"Your son reads at a sixth grade level, the rest of the class is reading at a second grade, please stop reading to your child at night, its making the other children feel less smart"

"Your daughter does not do math the same way as the other students, her awnsers are correct but her method is wrong because its not what the school teaches, thats why all her awnsers are marked wrong"

"Your son should not be worried about how to balance a checkbook, that is not apropriate questions for children in his grade level."

"Please, stop having your son deposit money in a savings fund, the other children are asking me why they don't have a bank account."

"I am sure that you are very proud of your daughters intrest in space, but she should be focusing on her color by number sheets, and not the things that she wont ever get to do."

These are a handful of examples. Until the system allows teachers to nurture and support the people that think outside the box, or the parents that take a active role in their childs pre-school and after-school education, I don't think the length of a school day will matter.

Shalisk, I'm sorry your experiences with the school system have been so negative. That's really unfortunate, because in my district (and many others) we have amazingly dedicated teachers and administrators who encourage student learning, creativity, and divergent thinking. We are fortunate to have a supportive and collaborative administrative team and "school system" (i.e., administrators, board members, community stakeholders, etc.). I can honestly say that decisions are consistently made with the best interest of kids in mind. Of course schools are always at the mercy of financial budgets and available resources...that is the reality anywhere you go. I am not sure where your quotes are from, but I can assure you they are not representative of many, many really good schools out there.

Of course, I am well aware of the unfortunate reality of failing, impoverished schools and disengaged, underperforming students. However, such broad, sweeping, negative generalizations about the entire "school system" only hurt our schools even further by perpetuating public distrust and discouraging parent/community support. I hope some day you have an opportunity to witness the many great things that are happening every day in so many of our schools.

I rarely get on my soap box (lol...no pun intended), but I felt compelled to share the perspective of someone who is fortunate enough to work every day in an awesome school. Lucky me :)

Now, let's go make soap...

Oh I agree there are some great schools out there, my last 2 years of school I was in one. And one of my best friends is a teacher who is one of 3 that give me a little hope for the future of schooling. Growing up in small town USA trapped in the 50's for 40 years....you know how that can go.

May God bless the teachers and admins. With all the madness, bullying, etc going on these days, I would never wish to have anything to do with k-12 again. My child survived it with the grace of God and me teaching him to defend himself. Please be vigilant at your post and not allow any poor children to have to suffer like mine did at his school.

Shalisk, I am sad to say those things are going on in some schools. I work for a district that really makes an effort to help struggling students and encourage the bright ones. But in an impoverished community it is very difficult to get some parents involved. Too many are overtaxed trying to work and keep children's needs met. And many of those do not see school as a priority.

Godschild, I understand. When I first began teaching it was in third grade and unfortunately for him, my son was a third grader. We were in a community that did not accept outsiders easily. He was picked on and bullied for 3 years. When things reached the breaking point for him, I told him, "You know if you fight at school, you will end up in the principal's office. But if it is worth it to you, do what you need to do." Shortly thereafter three of them decided to gang up on him at recess. By the time the teachers reached the 4 of them, he had downed 3 of them and was working on the last one. He got in very little trouble and the 3 spent a long time paying their dues, so to speak. After that, they had a respect for him. In our case it worked out well.

Latest posts

Back