Back to basics

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rain_darned_owl

Reaction score
Ok, so I have been making soap since spring and have made around 35 batches, but I don't have a good feel for what each ingredient gives to a bar of soap as I have been using recipes from books, kits, from the forum, etc. So I feel like I have been a bit scatter brained in my approach and want to correct that now. I also have a different oils and butters from making lotions, so that hasn't helped!!

I have created a spreadsheet and so far have 4 oils on it that I am planning to vary the amounts of. I know there is a post somewhere similar to what I am asking but I can't find it again. I have dry dry dry (did I mention dry) skin, I like bubbles, and I don't like the squeeky clean feeling. So if I am waaay off base with my plan below please let me know.

e.g.
batch 1: Coconut Oil - 15%, Olive - 20%, Palm Oil - 60%, Castor - 5% (recipe from Susie)
batch 2: Coconut - 15%, Olive - 25%, Palm Oil - 55%, Castor - 5%
batch 3: Coconut - 15%, Olive - 30%, Palm Oil - 50%, Castor - 5%
batch 4: Coconut - 15%, Olive - 35%, Palm Oil - 45%, Castor - 5%
batch 5: Coconut - 20%, Olive - 20%, Palm Oil - 55%, Castor - 5%
etc.
(I have 10 variations so far on my spreadsheet)

Q -- When I vary the % of the oils is an increment of 5% going to be noticeable or should I make it 10%? I don't want to go higher than 25% for the coconut oil for now.

How do each of the soaps feel to your skin in comparison to each other? In other words, do you feel some to be more drying than others?

IrishLass :)

Sounds like a good plan. Keep the CO down to 15%, and the Castor Oil at 5%, and you can try everything else.

Do you have an objection to using animal fats? If not, I can strongly suggest lard as being more conditioning.

If your skin is dry, I'd up the olive oil. My basic recipe has more than 50% olive oil. You might want to try out some avocado oil, too.

I agree with navigator. I personally would add some Avocado and up the Olive a bit. Especially when using palm. Also, what SF are you using? You may want to try to up that a bit too.

Thanks everyone for chiming in!! Was planning on a 5% superfat for all the batches to keep it consistent. I am using Palm Oil as I already have it, somehow can't bring myself to buy lard (not a vegetarian or anything, I just can't stand the name of it!! )

I do have Avocado Oil already so will probably add that in too but am trying to keep it simple. There are just too many options. I have also made some goat milk soap so I was debating whether to replace the water with milk for these tests. Maybe buttermilk instead as it should be cheaper.

Latest posts

Back