Back of label

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am doing my least favorite thing: figuring out labels. I woke up today having a lightbulb moment. I grabbed a random business card and wrapped it around the soap top to bottom and around the bottom edge of the soap. It fits perfectly. That way you can see the whole design on the other side. Once I get this totally figured out I will post a picture.

Then I thought...I could probably write something cool on the back and any disclaimers. My question is, if I wrap this directly on the soap then shrink wrap it, will the words on the back that are in direct contact with the soap smear or transfer? Or should I just leave it blank? I have all the important stuff on the front and bottom.

edit: I plan on using cardstock. Just printing on paper right now so I don't have to practice on the more expensive stuff.

Have you considered a postcard? Print front and back with the thickness of your soap blank. You then fold it, set your soap in it and then shrink wrap.

I hate this soap, that is why I am practicing with it. I think the smell is nauseating LOL. Egads I really hate it. I guess someone might like it. Plus the cut of the soap is wonky and it has air bubbles. I could throw this soap away and never think twice.

Anyway... @TheGecko I am not sure what you mean by post cards. I guess I would have to see what you mean.

Business sized cards, I can print ten to a page with this idea. It only covers the front and bottom. My sister has been really busy, so I feel like I am learning a whole new skill set here LOL.

this is what I mean. Its just practice so far. But I want to know if I print on the backside of the label on cardstock, will it look bad later?

Attachments

• label1.jpg
    label1.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 74
  • label2.jpg
    label2.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 74
Something similar to what you are doing in the photo, but you would fold it so it’s half front, bottom, half back.

FYI - you need to put grams on your soap too. Example: 4oz/114g
Ahh. I see. I kinda want ppl to see the soap. I had a label design that wrapped similarly to what you said, and another that was a full cigar wrap, but I think people wouldn't be able to see the soap. Some of them are really pretty and I think that's a seller being able to see the design. Plus with these, I can do 10 per page.

Thanks for the grams pointer too. I was wondering about that. I think you told me before. Is that a rule or a good business thing?

I use 2x4 Avery labels actually a cheaper brand now and we designed ours to wrap around the soap such as you just did. Our info is designed completely different but same concept.
These are inside the shrink wrap. My sister is on hiatus i guess. Im just winging it.

My original question...if i print on the inside of the label that is in conact with the soap, will it run or transfer?

Ahh. I see. I kinda want ppl to see the soap. I had a label design that wrapped similarly to what you said, and another that was a full cigar wrap, but I think people wouldn't be able to see the soap. Some of them are really pretty and I think that's a seller being able to see the design. Plus with these, I can do 10 per page.

Which is what I get for guesstimating. This morning I grabbed a postcard and a business card and the postcard would be too big. This is why I am not a carpenter. LOL

Thanks for the grams pointer too. I was wondering about that. I think you told me before. Is that a rule or a good business thing?

Law. If you look at various items in your house sold by weight or volume you see Imperial (US) and Metric.

My original question...if i print on the inside of the label that is in conact with the soap, will it run or transfer?

It will transfer.

My original question...if I print on the inside of the label that is in contact with the soap, will it run or transfer?

Keep in mind that inkjet printers use a dye in a carrier medium. I'm guessing they would likely transfer. From my experience these inks are soluble in ammonia.

Laser printers use toner made from plastics, like styrene, and pigment. The plastic toner is basically melted onto the paper. You may have better luck with a laser printer.

I've never tried this, but I'm curious to know how it turns out.

I would not put a printed side of a label directly on the soap, because I have had soap absorb print and it looks ugly. Perhaps it might depend on the actual print and the actual soap itself, but then I'd have to test each and every soap recipe to see what happens and it's just not something I'd do. Besides, what's to point of hiding part of the label where it can't be seen by the consumer. If it's important enough to print, it's important enough to be visible prior to purchase, right? That is, if you are planning to sell. But even if not, the concept is that same. IMO it should all be readily available prior to choosing a product. If I can't find important information on the outer package, and I can't open the packaging to find it, then I don't purchase the product.

I would not put a print face directly against soap. If you plan to sell at outdoor events humidity may cause the ink to bleed into the soap. Also consider you don't know what storage conditions your customers would be storing in. (I tell my customers not to store in the bathroom, but I also know they still do...) One thing you could do is double shrink wrap - wrap the soap, place the card stock and wrap the soap again. That would allow you to place print against the soap.

I would not put a print face directly against soap. If you plan to sell at outdoor events humidity may cause the ink to bleed into the soap. Also consider you don't know what storage conditions your customers would be storing in. (I tell my customers not to store in the bathroom, but I also know they still do...) One thing you could do is double shrink wrap - wrap the soap, place the card stock and wrap the soap again. That would allow you to place print against the soap.
Double shrink wrapping is a great idea. I will have to try. But idunnno. Have you tried to unwrap that? I dont know if that would be annoying

I totally get what you are saying, I have just created a label for my soap, I am only giving them to family and friends. These are mine so far I print them on letter size paper and then cut them wrap them around the soap and tape them at the back. I need to write the weight on them by hand because I forgot that.

Attachments

• soap label wrap sample.JPG
    soap label wrap sample.JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 43
Ok, i have finalized my labeling (for now lol). I found the cardstock to be tedious to work with, so i got Avery #6837 2” x 3 3/4” labels. I shrink wrap the soaps and put the stickers on the outside of the wrapped soaps. They look exactly like my previous picture, but the label is on the outside. I am all for the easiest way to do things, and i like the way they look.

Super simple and easy to customize...just cant do the back of the label. I really like this concept otherwise

Ok, i have finalized my labeling (for now lol). I found the cardstock to be tedious to work with, so i got Avery #6837 2” x 3 3/4” labels. I shrink wrap the soaps and put the stickers on the outside of the wrapped soaps. They look exactly like my previous picture, but the label is on the outside. I am all for the easiest way to do things, and i like the way they look.

Super simple and easy to customize...just cant do the back of the label. I really like this concept otherwise
Honestly, I love the avery labels and their online template/designer.
Just learn from my mistake when you go to print, double check that it's NOT set to "fit to page"!

Back