Back from the Dead

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lenarenee, thanks for your apology and welcome back. No worries. You will find I have pretty thick skin, plus I thought your comments/cautions were appropriate. I'd never give ANYONE a soap recipe that I haven't first tried on myself. The purpose of the project is to teach basic soap making to villages that don't have access to stores. The missionary asked me if there was anything I could offer to help with lice, sort of as an extra benefit. I wouldn't have asked if I didn't want everyone e's feedback. Thanks and have a blessed night.

DWinMadison, Thank you for your kind response. I never want to cause you to need your thick skin though.

Let me offer again to donate a couple of the specialized lice combs for your friends to give to the people in Thailand. I can have them shipped through Amazon to their church. They are metal, sturdy, easy to disinfect and will last for decades. In the long run, having tools to deal with lice will be much more cost and time effective for the Thai. Then they can put that money toward making more soap!

I'll second the comments on the Terminator lice comb. I have 2 daughters and we've been through the lice wringer ... 2 weeks of daily combing (about 1.5 hours per kid). Ugh. Major pain.

Ulta cosmetics sells a conditioner that seems to slow the lice down pretty good, but it doesn't kill them. There is also a peppermint oil "hair spray" that we also used that supposedly 'repels' the live lice. Don't know if that's true but using the products in concert with the Terminator comb did the trick.

I agree that it might be nice to donate the combs.

Last edited:
So I've read this thread... and I now have some repressed memories surfacing...

Ok, rewind a couple of decades or so, back to when my daughter started infant school. One day, I have an itchy head. Really itchy. In fact red hot burning itchy! More itchy than I had ever, ever, itched before! So I make an appointment to see a doctor, who without even so far as having a look at my scalp advises me it is because I have recently changed shampoos... Hmmm.

The next day I have a job interview. The lady interviewing me keeps glancing up at my hairline. I wonder why.

I was a single mother at the time, it was just me and my daughter, and I didn't have anyone close enough to me to tell me that
I HAD HEAD LICE!!!

Transmitted to me from my daughter, who had caught them from school.
Oh dear my toes curl even now just thinking about it. Head lice had until that point never ever been part of our small world. And truly my heart goes out to anyone who has to deal with those little b******ds!

(My apologies for derailing the thread. I just felt the need to share!).
:)

Incidentally, I didn't get that job :wink:

Back