Back After a Medical Break

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

makes_scents

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I have returned to the addiction after an extended break due to medical issues. My new medical condition will surely change how I have to soap, but I will not stop me!

I have a condition called POTS (Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome)...this makes standing up the whole time to soap impossible as it would suck to faint while messing with lye.

I am EXCITED to get back to creating. The husband was not thrilled with the 300 dollars I spent earlier today, but I couldn't help myself.

Glad to be back :)

Welcome back!

You could get a high bar stool to sit on to stick blend. I often use one when my back is bothering me. I also use a "weigh one thing and rest" activity pattern to get everything weighed out. You will figure out what is best for you, but that bar stool was a lifesaver for me.

Welcome back.

In England we have perching stools. They have a small back and arms so they are more secure if dizzy. The clever thing is that they have a tiny tilt, which puts you in the perfect position to work at kitchen work surfaces. They are so comfortable!

Good luck withhatever technique you use. Looking forward to seeing your creations. It's so exciting to return to something you love

Welcome back, I use stool too sometimes, Rowan I spend weeks to look for the chair you describe, they do not have something like that in Canada. I also have back problem,. I weight and prepare everything at evening and soap in the morning next day.
Hopefully you will find the way to soap;))

Welcome back.

In England we have perching stools. They have a small back and arms so they are more secure if dizzy. The clever thing is that they have a tiny tilt, which puts you in the perfect position to work at kitchen work surfaces. They are so comfortable!

Good luck withhatever technique you use. Looking forward to seeing your creations. It's so exciting to return to something you love��

That's ingenious!

Welcome back! To help out with standing and bending... maybe you could get a supply trolley so that you're limiting how much needs to be carried. Trolleys can be pushed to whichever countertop/table you'll sit at to make soap and have everything ready in a single go.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome Back. At times I set up one of my market tables that telescope and use at it's lowest setting. This way I can actually sit a bit above the table on a chair. makes it easier to sb and pour

Rowan is this what you are talking about? https://www.essentialaids.com/kitchen-aids-feeding-aids/perching-stools.html

There is similiar available on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002VWJZ1A/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Yep, they're great. Thanks so much for adding the links. A picture is worth so much more than words alone:). They are so comfortable to use.

Last edited by a moderator:
Makes-scents - I know exactly how you are feeling. Went through a bunch of medical stuff as well but bound and determined to soap again. Welcome back.

Makes_scents, I also use a stool sometimes when I soap because of my back. I cannot stand for long periods of time or I end up with a lot of pain, so I bought a folding bar stool from WalMart that has a padded seat and it lives under my worktable. It doesn't have the tilt that the perching stools can obtain, but it works fine for my purpose and my height (I am not a tall person). It's tall enough that I can just 'perch' my butt on the padded seat and it takes some of the pressure off my back while stirring soap or whatnot. Those perching stools look exactly like something you can purchase at many medical supply stores here in the US, even pharmacy stores like Walgreens or CVS. The legs are adjustable and you can increase or decrease the tilt by changing the height of the legs on one side (the back legs, for example).

If you want to check one out in person before ordering online, I am confident that any medical supply store will be happy to let you look at their inventory. If you live near a hospital you may even find an in-house medical supply store in the hospital. In my small town, we have two such stores, one downtown as well as one in the hospital itself. Our Walgreen's carries one or two models, but it's a little harder to test them out conveniently. Still that didn't stop me from testing every cane that Walgreen's carries to determine which one was right for my height and so forth. (Not all canes are created equal. I don't need one all the time, but sometimes I have to use one.)

Latest posts

Back