Back After A Long Break

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atlantanurse

Reaction score
I have been out of the soapmaking loop for almost 7 years. I made soap for about 20 years (before the internet and Ann Bramson’s book was the only reference you had!) I got remarried and I don’t know ‍♀️ what happened. I just bought all new supplies and am ready to dip my toe back in. Has anybody else take a long sabbatical? I was an original member of THE DISH FORUM, it was THE SOAP DISH FORUM and someone made the forum drop the SOAP handle. I see BOHUNK’s name and know she disappeared for awhile and am so glad to see her name. Her scrub recipe is legendary and I have sold tons of it! I also remember LAB RAT? who had tons of knowledge and got mad and deleted every post he ever shared and it was such a loss! I signed in about a year ago. I cannot get it to come up. Is this the same forum. I know the archives were available then. They were so full of knowledge. I think I got in in December 2018. If so are the ARCHIVES still available? I sold soap on ETSY in it’s infancy and still have a shop there that’s been on vacation for many years. Most of my fragrances came from THE SCENT WORKS. I still have about 100 partial bottles. I have (3)16 oz bottles of TONIC. They all still have good scent. They are in brown glass bottles in the dark in my cool basement. I am at a loss on how to replace the scents I love. I’m glad some came from DAY STAR and BRAMBLE BERRY and SWEETCAKES. Thank goodness the SOAP SCENT REVIEW BOARD is still up. Thanks for listening to my long ramble. I appreciate any welcome backs! I am excited about soap again!

I have been out of the soapmaking loop for almost 7 years. I made soap for about 20 years (before the internet and Ann Bramson’s book was the only reference you had!) I got remarried and I don’t know ‍♀️ what happened. I just bought all new supplies and am ready to dip my toe back in. Has anybody else take a long sabbatical? I was an original member of THE DISH FORUM, it was THE SOAP DISH FORUM and someone made the forum drop the SOAP handle. I see BOHUNK’s name and know she disappeared for awhile and am so glad to see her name. Her scrub recipe is legendary and I have sold tons of it! I also remember LAB RAT? who had tons of knowledge and got mad and deleted every post he ever shared and it was such a loss! I signed in about a year ago. I cannot get it to come up. Is this the same forum. I know the archives were available then. They were so full of knowledge. I think I got in in December 2018. If so are the ARCHIVES still available? I sold soap on ETSY in it’s infancy and still have a shop there that’s been on vacation for many years. Most of my fragrances came from THE SCENT WORKS. I still have about 100 partial bottles. I have (3)16 oz bottles of TONIC. They all still have good scent. They are in brown glass bottles in the dark in my cool basement. I am at a loss on how to replace the scents I love. I’m glad some came from DAY STAR and BRAMBLE BERRY and SWEETCAKES. Thank goodness the SOAP SCENT REVIEW BOARD is still up. Thanks for listening to my long ramble. I appreciate any welcome backs! I am excited about soap again!
Welcome back, Georgia Girl!

The dish shut down I think last year, even the archives are gone.
I never went there myself but I heard it had a lot of info, its too bad its all gone.

You will find lots of of info here with plenty of friendly members.

Hi Alantanurse, Welcome Back to soapmaking. I learned to make lotion from members of The Dish.
Irish Lass is here also. I love Tonic and really loved TallTayl's Black Vetiver Cafe Dupe, but she has not run any buys in a long while. She is over at Craft Server https://www.craftserver.com/forum/11-general-soap-making/?ct=1565664934
I spoke to her a year or two ago about another run of the BVC but she could not get enough interest. Barbara Al, I think was a dish member, wanders in and out at times as do a few others.

A couple of years ago I went into the Archives and printed out a lot of the recipes. I remember Lab Rat and was sorry he deleted all his recipes.

Welcome back to soapmaking, Atlantanurse. :) It's as the others have said- the Dish forum and all of it's vast, amazing archives of knowledge are now gone. February of this year was the last time I was able to access it. Over at the SoapScentReviewBoard there is a sub-forum called JustDishin down at the very bottom of the website that explains what happened. According to the discussions going on in the thread titled, 'Any Dish Updates' in the sub-forum, it was in May of this year that Celene decided to pull the final plug on any efforts to get it back up and running.

IrishLass :)

Yello, atlantanurse! Welcome back to soap! Thanks for the kind words. Yup, I took a several years break from making soap and lotions but my skin couldn't handle commercial products so I'm back at it.

I know the dish has a facebook page but I don't go over there very often at all because I've pretty much stopped using facebook but it could be something else for you to check out.

Yello, atlantanurse! Welcome back to soap! Thanks for the kind words. Yup, I took a several years break from making soap and lotions but my skin couldn't handle commercial products so I'm back at it.

I know the dish has a facebook page but I don't go over there very often at all because I've pretty much stopped using facebook but it could be something else for you to check out.

I went to the Facebook page and it was basically dead. So glad I have you scrub recipe in my old soap maker software.

Welcome here :)
It is very sad that all the info on the DISH is gone :(
Not sure if it got deleted but the real reason it is gone is on their FB page somewhere. I don't remember what the ScentRB posting says as I am at work and don't remember the pw for it right now.

Good info here and lots of fun too

Several years ago, I lost my original formula notebook in a move. I was able to go into archives and retrieve my scrub recipe and an early lotion I had posted (I believe my first), I think I called it a souffle, lovely but unstable if shipped. I was able to also print off a thread about using saltwater in a lotion that I had been toying with but never got around to all in hopes of revisiting and tinkering with again. After unpacking books after another move, I came across the little dish book of recipes we had privately printed. I hope I still have that because if I do, I'll be able to share some of the recipes from that.

I guess, the point being, it's not much, but I'll share what I have from the Dish, as I'm able to come across it. I know Cathy's Apre Glow bar has been reprinted over on the soapbar forum. That was recently started up in hopes of a Dish 2.o, but I think it's going nowhere.

So much knowledge scattered to the winds.

I also came back after a while, looking for the archives and a recipe name that stuck with me: Bohunks #7. Was that the scrub? I remember a very nice emulsified scrub. Would love to make it again. I expected the archives to be there forever, so I didn’t write things down 😢

Back