Baby Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think different pediatricians have different advice to give. With that being said, do what works for you and yours. Definitely go with something gentle, very low to no CO, PKO, or Babassu, and a longer than normal cure is what I would suggest. I mean, obviously if your baby has a “blowout” (any mother should know what I am referring to), soap, of some sort, is definitely needed😉

I'm just plainly going to show you what customers buy from me for their kids - of course I market it that way coz I made it for my own child. If I recall right the youngest so far was about 6mos old (yes I like talking to my customers hehe) but I personally only formulated this when my kid was a toddler

Showing you this, maybe you'll get some more tips from everyone else who has shared info.

@Dawni
Wave.gif
It's so nice to see you! Miss you!

Thank you for all the responses! I ended up making a pretty gift certificate and my sister is excited. I know everyone has different opinions on soap for babies but my sister had baby soap on her list of things she wanted for the baby shower. So I will leave it up to her but I am going to give her 4 bars of gentle Castile soap, if she doesn’t want to use them for the baby, she can use them for herself. :)

I unmolded the soap super easily today! It’s actually already super hard which is surprising.

But I have a problem… I strained the lye solution but I think I see lye crystals. I’m not taking any chances on baby so this soap will be trashed. My lye was pretty hot but would that affect it? When I was shaving off the top (which cracked a little) I came across multiple crusty parts under the surface.

The salt and baking soda are ok for baby’s skin?
Just wanted to bring up a point here - all soap is salt. It's not sodium chloride that we use in food of course, but it is sodium cocoate or sodium lardate and so on. A salt of fatty acids

ETA - and I know that there are conflicting views on babies and soap, but "I survived X y and z" is not always the best argument. Many people survived the era of lead paint use (or even the era of using mercury as a cosmetic!) but that doesn't hold water as an argument for still doing that today

Does anyone know what could have caused this?
It's either you or the NaOH (Sodium Hydroxide) you're using.

Can we talk? :videovisit:
By clicking on your avatar, I see you have accumulated 32 messages but you have never introduced yourself to the group. Don't be offended, but I don't know if you're a newbie or a seasoned soapmaker.

So, it would help us to help you if you go to the Introduction Forum and tell us a little about yourself, especially your level of experience in making soap and other bath & body products and anything else you care to share. :)

Next, the bulk of your threads are about problems with lye issues -- Soap Dough, HP, Lye Crystals, and now Baby Soap. So, before going any further, check your lye to make sure it is 100% NaOH, it has been tightly sealed, properly stored and it is no more than a year old.

Next, explore the Beginners Forum to learn more about the things we talk about here.

Find the Beginners Learn to Soap Online thread to find sources for tried and true recipes to review for making test batches.

Scroll down to "Lovin' Soap Studio" for sage advice and clear instructions for making CP (Cold Process).

@DeeAnna 's Soapy Stuff is an amazing resource to research any further problems you may be having.

You can also use the Search icon (magnifying glass at the top right of this page) for topics that have been discussed before.

After all that, making as many small successful batches as you can, as often as you can, will have you up and running with the best of us. It's best to avoid adding fragrance and color until you have a solid recipe that delivers every time you make it.

Finally, show off your soaps in the Photo Gallery. We LUV pictures -- even when a batch goes awry. Hopefully that won't happen, but if it does, see it as an opportunity to learn more.

HAPPY SOAPING!

Latest posts

Back