Baby Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kimberly G Lewis

Reaction score
Hello, I am making a Baby Soap and wanted to know if this is a good recipe:
1624753539129.png

Hi Kimberly, most pediatricians recommend no soap for baby for at least the first six months - many say one year. But in any event, soap for young children should be extremely gentle. You will want the cleansing number to be as low as possible, and to minimize the number of ingredients to avoid potential irritants and allergens.

For that reason, I'd eliminate the coconut oil altogether, because it is very cleansing, which means that it will strip the natural oils off the skin. I'd also skip the yogurt, nutmilks, and banana, since all of those can be irritants or allergens.

If you are open to using lard, that makes a very gentle soap that is low on cleansing. Use sugar or honey to increase the bubbly factor beyond what shows in the soap calc. So something like this:

70% lard
25% OO, RBO, avocado oil, or blend
5% castor oil
2 T sugar PPO, dissolved in the liquid prior to adding the lye
Water replacers: oatmilk, AVJ, or vinegar.

Plan on curing the soap for 8-12 weeks as the lather will improve over the longer cure.

Hi Kimberly, most pediatricians recommend no soap for baby for at least the first six months - many say one year. But in any event, soap for young children should be extremely gentle. You will want the cleansing number to be as low as possible, and to minimize the number of ingredients to avoid potential irritants and allergens.

For that reason, I'd eliminate the coconut oil altogether, because it is very cleansing, which means that it will strip the natural oils off the skin. I'd also skip the yogurt, nutmilks, and banana, since all of those can be irritants or allergens.

If you are open to using lard, that makes a very gentle soap that is low on cleansing. Use sugar or honey to increase the bubbly factor beyond what shows in the soap calc. So something like this:

70% lard
25% OO, RBO, avocado oil, or blend
5% castor oil
2 T sugar PPO, dissolved in the liquid prior to adding the lye
Water replacers: oatmilk, AVJ, or vinegar.

Plan on curing the soap for 8-12 weeks as the lather will improve over the longer cure.
Hello,

Thank you!

Back