Baby soap...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
That's not just really young soap either .:mrgreen:
I'm wondering if anybody here has made baby soap and if I could get some real good clues on a safe recipe.
It's not for my new grand daughter it's actually for a gentleman in Oklahoma that has real sensitive skin due to Ehler's Syndrome. He is currently using Johnson Baby soap which lists tallow and either coconut or palm oil as ingredients ( as sodium products).

I thought I'd ask those with experience before I just started making volcanoes and ricing stuff up.:shock:

Thanks in advance!

For an adult with sensitive skin, I would use a well cured castile or bastile with minimal coconut. Lard up to 80% would be nice too. Or Gennys shampoo bar - that's very gentle as well, and nice for skin.

I like my bastile recipe for people with very sensitive skin. It's 45% OO, 45% RBO, 10% butter (I usually use shea), with a 4 month minimum cure. If I scent, I usually use lavender EO. Normally I leave this one unscented and uncolored though. I've also had people tell me they're sensitive to coconut and palm oils so this is the go-to for them as well.

I'm going to second the high lard recipe suggestion. It is extremely mild and very conditioning.

However, how long have you been making soap? I would not suggest you give away any soap until you have been soaping at least 3 months so you can learn if you are going to have DOS or not on a specific recipe. That also gives you time to tweak a recipe a little.

Lard, tallow, OO, avocado oil, castor oil, sweet almond oil.
I use those in recipes for sensitive skin. Lard less and less since it's giving me terrible DOS, but tallow turned out to be great substitute.

I second Genny's shampoo recipe. It's really gentle and has nice lather. Or a high lard/palm soap. I dislike castile. Even well cured it makes my skin feel wonky.

I second tallow. It boosts bubbles over lard, and works wonderful in a blend with tallow and lard. A little castor to sustain bubbles and co, if very sensitive skin, id recommended you stay in the 5-10% range at the most. Love sweet almond oil, higher conditioning than olive, but olive works well too.

For babies/toddlers/sensitive skin i usually made castile or bastille.

Btw i am loving my 80% lard and 20% hemp. I use it on my body and face.

On the recommendations here I have decided to
1.) make a 75% lard soap with 5 olive and castor the rest coconut.
2.) Start a batch of Castile soap that will be ready to test in June.

I'll play a bit with the high lard recipe and be sure it works for the intended purpose. I have a couple of local Nam veteran friends that are willing to test mild soaps. Agent Orange left them with skin problems many years ago. If the lard recipe works for them I'll send some to Dave.

Soapcalc says it is low cleansing and high conditioning which is what I'm looking for. The lard/ tallow and coconut is what Johnson Baby soap that Dave is using lists as ingredients so that is why I am testing along those lines.

More info in 5 or 6 weeks after the first test on cured soap.

Thank you all for your valuable input!

Latest posts

Back