Baby Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lisa

Reaction score
Does anyone know what makes soap tear free? I know there are recipes with no soap at all, but I really want a real liquid soap soap one.

Blessings

what makes commercial baby soap tear free is that they add a chemical that desentizes the eyes so the baby doesn't feel the sting even though there is soap in their eyes....
and i read an article recently that this can be damaging to the eyes....its somewhere out there on the internet....

no they don't add a desensitizer or numbing agent - that one is a candidate for snopes (if it's not on there already).

While true soap is quite alkaline, syndet products (like baby wash and baby shampoo) are very neutral which means they cause much less irritation to the eyes. Then within the syndet "family" the ingredients are chosen very carefully to be non-irritating.

From the J&J web site
The assertion that chemicals are added that numb the baby's eyes is totally false. The reason JOHNSON´S® shampoo formulas do not irritate the eyes is the mildness of the formulation, which has undergone extensive clinical testing and has proven to be as gentle to the eyes as pure water.
http://www.johnsonsbaby.com/faq.do

Latest posts

Back