Baby Goats and my life this week !!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Basil, I don't know if you are a reader, but I immediately thought of one of my very favorite novels, Prodigal Summer by Barbara Kingsolver where one of the main characters becomes a goat farmer. (And hands down, one of the most racy memorable first chapters ever.)
I
I AM a reader and I like her as an author, but I haven't read that one. I'll look it up! thanks!

@Basil, I don't know if you are a reader, but I immediately thought of one of my very favorite novels, Prodigal Summer by Barbara Kingsolver where one of the main characters becomes a goat farmer. (And hands down, one of the most racy memorable first chapters ever.)
I liked Prodigal Summer also and loved The Poisonwood Bible.

I used to buy my goat milk from a farmer that had one tri-color little girl they called Houdini. She was just a baby but, they could not keep her in the barn! She would escape through a mouse hole if she found one. I loved her sooo much but, alas I lived in the city and it would have been frowned on to bring her home with me, she was more like a dog than a goat. She would give kisses and adored being petted!
Hope your momma gets better soon and one of the other goats has adopted the little white temporary orphan, poor baby! I could never be a farmer, I would want to bring all the babies into the house and cuddle with them!

I used to buy my goat milk from a farmer that had one tri-color little girl they called Houdini. She was just a baby but, they could not keep her in the barn! She would escape through a mouse hole if she found one. I loved her sooo much but, alas I lived in the city and it would have been frowned on to bring her home with me, she was more like a dog than a goat. She would give kisses and adored being petted!
Hope your momma gets better soon and one of the other goats has adopted the little white temporary orphan, poor baby! I could never be a farmer, I would want to bring all the babies into the house and cuddle with them!
So sweet! Yes, quite a few of mine are like puppies. They can be pretty annoying attention hogs LOL. And a few have been inside 🙄😂. Mama is actually looking like she may pull out of it. She has her third vet appointment today. We’ve been giving her hormones to lose her placenta and antibiotic shots. What an ordeal! I’m hoping for her to be out of the woods soon. Baby Magnolia is doing well. My daughter named her after being traumatized by the birth lol. Thanks for sharing your story!

Just an update for all those who may wonder lol... Moonpie, the goat who had a traumatic labor and birth is officially out of the danger zone! Vet gave her a clearance yesterday! Baby Magnolia is fine and playing with the other 8 babies born since her. Moms are all going neurotic trying to watch their own 😂. I have 1 1/2 weeks before the next two mamas are due. I’ll be back to making soap this week!! That was a little too nerve wracking. Moonpie is officially retired and will enjoy life on the farm without being bred again !

Just an update for all those who may wonder lol... Moonpie, the goat who had a traumatic labor and birth is officially out of the danger zone! Vet gave her a clearance yesterday! Baby Magnolia is fine and playing with the other 8 babies born since her. Moms are all going neurotic trying to watch their own 😂. I have 1 1/2 weeks before the next two mamas are due. I’ll be back to making soap this week!! That was a little too nerve wracking. Moonpie is officially retired and will enjoy life on the farm without being bred again !

Wonderful news about Moonpie! ♥️

Oh so happy to hear this happy report about dear Moonpie!
I've been checking this thread just about everyday to hear about the girl. Thank you for updating us!

So happy to hear that Moonpie is out of the woods and hopefully Magnolia is back with her! Love those names! My week was a little hectic the cancer was removed from my lip on St. Pat's Day, I look like someone punched me in the mouth! All the stitches are annoying and they keep getting caught in my bottom teeth, today I finally cut the tail off of the longest one. My lip is definitely smaller on the bottom than before but I was told it will grow back, weird! How many goats do you have? What other critters?

So happy to hear that Moonpie is out of the woods and hopefully Magnolia is back with her! Love those names! My week was a little hectic the cancer was removed from my lip on St. Pat's Day, I look like someone punched me in the mouth! All the stitches are annoying and they keep getting caught in my bottom teeth, today I finally cut the tail off of the longest one. My lip is definitely smaller on the bottom than before but I was told it will grow back, weird! How many goats do you have? What other critters?
:( I'm so sorry...

I'm so sorry. I'm sure your mouth is painful. I hope you recuperate fast! I have Nigerian goats..3 bucks and one wether (neutered) and I have 15 does- eight of which I bred. Five have given birth to a total of 9 babies and I have 3 left to go...two next week and one in April. This is the first time I've bred that many at once, but I'm going all out this year. I think Lucy (another goat lol) looks as if she's going to have quads again..she did 2 years ago. I'll know the end of next week!
We also have two cats and two Maremmas which are the livestock guardian dogs for the goats. Hang in there with your mouth❤

I'm so sorry. I'm sure your mouth is painful. I hope you recuperate fast! I have Nigerian goats..3 bucks and one wether (neutered) and I have 15 does- eight of which I bred. Five have given birth to a total of 9 babies and I have 3 left to go...two next week and one in April. This is the first time I've bred that many at once, but I'm going all out this year. I think Lucy (another goat lol) looks as if she's going to have quads again..she did 2 years ago. I'll know the end of next week!
We also have two cats and two Maremmas which are the livestock guardian dogs for the goats. Hang in there with your mouth❤
Thanks, I received the best news, they got all of the cancer out now, if my stupid mouth would just quit stinging. It turns out you either get a numb mouth or you get a hyper-sensitive mouth, well I would have preferred the numb one, let me tell you! Stitches come out Monday, they were going to take them out today and I was ready to walk out the door, still too sore and swollen...and too soft, you have to put ointment on at least twice a day, well, I overdid it and the NP was afraid the skin was too soft and would split, thank heavens for me being an overachiever! LOL!

Latest posts

Back