Baby finches

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Obsidian

Reaction score
My little society finches finally had a successful nest. We have three babies and two more eggs to go.
I'll try to keep updates and pics but I don't want to bother them too much.

Attachments

• 20180603_081613.jpg
    20180603_081613.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 40
How fun! I used to work with orphaned wildlife birdies. I love the babies :)

Congrats!
We have lots of birds but have never been able to watch any of the finches nesting.
"Happy Wren" got moved to the other end of the house this winter while the nest house was empty though. Loves it when the sun comes up...:dance:

Eyeballs and feathers:p

It's been really fun watching these guys and the sounds, man are they loud now when begging for food. I don't think I'll breed again though, at least not anytime soon.

I've decided to keep them all. I'm going to build a large flight cage and try to pair up two of the same gender so I don't have 2 breeding pairs to contend with.

The third baby will get a zebra finch buddy since these guys shouldn't be kept in odd numbers.

Sorry for the grossness, they don't keep the nest clean.

Attachments

• 20180616_090344.jpg
    20180616_090344.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 17

They keep falling asleep half hanging out of the nest and I've been trying to get a picture but they wake up.
This is the middle child and a extra shot of a mantis on a orchid

Attachments

• 20180623_144403.jpg
    20180623_144403.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 20180623_150937.jpg
    20180623_150937.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 15
....insert sound of 10 year old awwwwing and squealing "they're sooooo cuuuutttttee!!!!

Plus......."can we get some?"

So happy to know they're doing so well!

:thumbs: yep, that would be my 10 yr old Autumn, (granddaughter) how she love animals and bugs. Every-time I stop to see her she brings out a different chicken for me to see. I think she has posted more You Tube videos with the chickens. Sorry Obsidian a titch off the topic

Middle baby is really tame. He's been letting me pet him so I took him out of the nest to look around for a bit.
He stayed on my finger for a minute or so before jumping back in the nest. I really hope he stays tame.
The large lump on his neck is the crop stuffed with food.

I gave up on building a cage and just bought a nice big flight cage for them all.

Attachments

• 20180627_112257.jpg
    20180627_112257.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 13
:thumbs: yep, that would be my 10 yr old Autumn, (granddaughter) how she love animals and bugs. Every-time I stop to see her she brings out a different chicken for me to see. I think she has posted more You Tube videos with the chickens. Sorry Obsidian a titch off the topic

Reminds me of myself. I had a chicken named butterscotch when I was about that age.
She would come when called and let me pick her up. I'd tuck her under one arm and catch grasshoppers for her. Chickens are a lot smarter then most people think. I wish I could have some but there isn't room, not with the dogs.

Latest posts

Back