Babassu Oil or Almighty Kpangnan Butter

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brian0523

Reaction score
I'm at a crossroads, and need opinions. Which is better Babassu or Kpangnan? I need to order supplies, and I'm torn which I should get.

!

Well, Brian, these are two very different oils and used for distinct purposes! Babassu Oil is used as Coconut Oil or Palm Kernel Oil wold be used as a lather and cleaning oil. I love using 50% CO, 25% Babassu Oil, and 25% PKO in my very favorite recipe. The Kpangnan is a conditioning Butter as Shea would be. I use it in my salt bars only. I use it in all my body butters and heavy creams! There you go! Heck, just buy both! I wish you could have gotten in on our CO-OP!

Paul

Thanks Paul. I'm trying to figure out how I would use Babassu and Kpangnan in a recipe. I don't have that recipe on me at the moment. Would you mind taking a look at it if I PM you later tonight?

brian0523 said:
Thanks Paul. I'm trying to figure out how I would use Babassu and Kpangnan in a recipe. I don't have that recipe on me at the moment. Would you mind taking a look at it if I PM you later tonight?

You bet! :D the 2 together in a recipe can make a very nice conditioning bar for sure! I love the Babassu Oil in my recipes! Makes a nice hard bar too! :D

I use both in my main soap recipe. It was once I started to use them both that I finally realized I had developed the recipe I was wanting.

Brian, go ahead and make your recipe you PMed me about tonight. The numbers are all good and it should be bubbly and good conditioning number too! I like it very much, good job! :D :wink:

Like CPS mentioned, they are a great combo when used together. The Babassu Oil is very hard and white. It is even whiter than 76* Coconut Oil.

Paul

Thanks guys!

I placed an order for supplies, but soapers choice is out of Kapagnan Butter....woe is me!

Brian, sorry to tell you this bit of info, but Soapers Choice does not carry Kpangnan Butter! :( They have Shea Butter and a lot of other oils and butters, but no Kpangnan. There is very few places that carry this newer butter from Africa. The place we did the CO-OP from, Agbanga Karite, and a couple other places that are even more expensive, are the only distributors in the US. Perhaps in a month or so, we can do another CO-OP with them again if there is enough interest.
:)
Paul

Yea, they run out of it quite often. When it is in, make a run on the "bank." :lol: Last time I waited like a month for them to get more in stock. Next time, I'm ordering 35 pounds and not just 1 gallon of it. Love that stuff! Since coconut oil is on the rise, Babassu oil is looking better all the time!

Paul :wink:

Latest posts

Back