Awkward flattery?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Guess I’m as social media awkward as I am regular socially awkward.
I’m out of town visiting fam for the first time since covid. Posted a soap on social media before I left. Trying to catch up and see this question, “do you mine if I attempt to copycat you?!”
I’m think 🤷🏻‍♀️ I just assume folks do that. Is it weird that they asked, or is it more weird that I don’t know what to say?
It’s a free world, I put a photo online, so I hope it inspires others, like others have inspired me. But I’m not sure I care for responding “have at it”. Maybe I don’t respond at all? Seems rude. Honestly 🤷🏻‍♀️!

I'm guessing they were trying to be courteous, since I have heard of the fans of some media-famous soap makers attacking less famous soap makers who they think are copy-catting their favorite (and with only so many colors and swirl techniques, coincidental copy-catting is almost inevitable). I don't think it's as common now, since some of the more famous soap makers have been speaking out against the practice, but it's still possible and has certainly been known to occur.

Guess I’m as social media awkward as I am regular socially awkward.
I’m out of town visiting fam for the first time since covid. Posted a soap on social media before I left. Trying to catch up and see this question, “do you mine if I attempt to copycat you?!”
I’m think 🤷🏻‍♀️ I just assume folks do that. Is it weird that they asked, or is it more weird that I don’t know what to say?
It’s a free world, I put a photo online, so I hope it inspires others, like others have inspired me. But I’m not sure I care for responding “have at it”. Maybe I don’t respond at all? Seems rude. Honestly 🤷🏻‍♀️!

I'd probably answer saying' Thx for the complement' happy Ive inspired you' just do me one favor' if you post a creation exactly like mine then can you pass on where your inspiration came from & menchned my name. It's nice she asked.
🤗💫🙌🏼.

Last edited:
Here's what you say: "I appreciate you paying homage to moi."
But really? Really, realistically, someone is actually going to reproduce your incredible pull-throughs? No f- way. It's just not happening.
Y’all are so funny. I honestly feel like I just get lucky with those. Although it might be an ocd side benefit. 😆 (real ocd.)
@Peachy Clean Soap that’s a great addition. “If you pull it off maybe give me a mention for the inspiration. I’d love to see It too!” Which is true!

Y’all are so funny. I honestly feel like I just get lucky with those. Although it might be an ocd side benefit. 😆 (real ocd.)
@Peachy Clean Soap that’s a great addition. “If you pull it off maybe give me a mention for the inspiration. I’d love to see It too!” Which is true!
Right...
At the end of the Day' we all will have our Soap Or Catchy Names Copied' It's gonna happen when we post our creations' sooner or latter.
It's a nice jester for anyone copycatting a "Design" or a "Catchy Theme Name" or "logo" to pay homage ( to where they got it from ) 🤗👍🏼😉🌻✨💫

(On IG I’m @harpeya)”
Thank you! I was going to ask where I could find you. I might have an instagram soap p#rn problem....
If someone directly inspires me, I make sure that I pay it back with a mention, and their original. While my inspirations aren't exact copies (honestly I don't think that if the person saw my soap they would call it a copycat at all) I do like other makers to realize the influence they have made to me.

As one of my favorite inspirations told me long ago “good artists borrow, great artists steal!” And also, “there’s nothing new under the sun.”
I have been deeply inspired by others before me. FFS really I didn’t even know soap could be an artistic medium until recently! So, I’m super grateful to learn new techniques. And, I have a few artisans that I frequently credit as having given me inspiration and/or tools to support me along my creative journey too.

If I'm really honest, every soap I have made was inspired by something I saw. Sometimes it was even trying to replicate something someone else did. I don't sell my soaps or take credit for ideas I didn't come up with on my own. But like you said, there is nothing new under the sun. Sometimes I think that even when I think I have some new original soap design that even then I couldn't claim it as my own because I probably saw something somewhere 6 months ago that just hadn't gelled in my mind yet. If I ever do post my soaps on social media I will do my best to give credit to those who inspired me.

I think that experience just shows that we each have our own mindset and how that colors our expectations without even realizing it. I thought that was a very nice thing to do; this person respects your creations enough to ask before copying it. ( it’s the sort of thing I would do, at least to someone selling their stuff).

Of course, I could be wrong and it could exactly what you though it was....someone offering a shifty compliment)

Latest posts

Back