Awful smell

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chela1261

Reaction score
I made my first beer soap three days ago and it still smells of that awful beer just not as much. I've been told from others the smell will go away but it's intermingled with the fo......it smell so bad. I used a dark stout a friend got for me (not Guinness which I wanted) called Nitro by Left Hand Brewing company and a men's fo. It is going away a little but I can still smell it.......Will it go away completely? Please say yes!

I made a beer soap using a pale ale and the resulting soap smelled like baked bread. A year later it still faintly smells like bread, but definitely not as strong. I didn't use a fragrance oil, so I can't help you there

It should fade quite a bit with time. If you dislike it that much I would put it away and go back in a month or two. I've use Guiness and it took a bit for the fragrance to even out with the FO I used.

My beer soaps never completely lose that hoppy scent - and the stronger the beer scent is out of the can, the stronger it seems in my finished soap. It does fade a little over time, but it't best to try to use a complimentary FO.

The beer soap I made with Budweiser, not a strong smelling beer, about 6 months ago still smells fairly strong as opposed to soap without beer. Not like it did when fresh, but definitely not gone. I did add scent, but it is the beer/hops that I notice. I replaced all water with beer and used the default lye to liquid concentration, so I am sure that impacts the residual odor to some degree.

We each have our own sense of smell, so that is something to consider. Your nose and my nose may differ in the perceived intensity of a particular fragrance/scent/odor.

I used a chocolate stout twice. One for my second batch fo bar soaps and one recently for liquid soap. I don't know what it's bringing to the party in the liquid soap but it is nice nonetheless. the liquid soap was actually smelling somewhat chocolaty as I was making it. I used BB's Oatmeal Stout FO for the liquid soap since this soap still smells of beer. My bar soap, on the other hand, doesn't smell much like beer these days.

I use double chocolate stout in unscented soap and it doesn't smell at all after cure and only lightly when fresh.

I don't mix lye with the beer though, I find that really helps with preventing bad beer smell.

I used a chocolate stout twice. One for my second batch fo bar soaps and one recently for liquid soap. I don't know what it's bringing to the party in the liquid soap but it is nice nonetheless. the liquid soap was actually smelling somewhat chocolaty as I was making it. I used BB's Oatmeal Stout FO for the liquid soap since this soap still smells of beer. My bar soap, on the other hand, doesn't smell much like beer these days.

The sugar in beer helps soap be bubbly.

I use a local small brewery when I'm making beer soap. No Fo's but the beer scent should fade.

Actually it's very faint now and the fo is starting (hopefully) to come through. I think next time I'll try the stout fo from BB. Thanks everyone

Latest posts

Back