Aw crap.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bret

Reaction score
So I work with a lot of crafty people. Who knew bankers could be so crafty. I'm a Stampin' Up demonstrator, and three others are too. Two at my branch. I said something about a craft fair and of course, they jumped all over me asking about it. Then shocked that I wasn't doing stamped items. I like making stamped items, no desire to sell them. But anyways, I brought in small samples of my soap for two today, and someone else came to me and asked why she didn't get one. She wasn't in on that conversation, I didn't think about it. I'm not looking to sell anything right now because of the upcoming craft fair and the fear that I won't have enough.

But anyways, they were asking me what it's made of, how I did it, etc. Um, get online and do searches like I did? It's different with the Stampin' Up. You do that to teach people. I'm not here to teach people I work with how to make it so they won't buy it from me. I don't know if any of them would try that, I'd like to think not, but you never know.

How do you guys handle this? Do you have samples at work? We have a lounge area in the women's bathroom that'd be perfect to put a few samples on, but I don't know if it's allowed.

Just tell them it is your great, great grandma's family secret & she swore you to secrecy.

You could do the whole "If I told ya, I would have to kill ya" Works for me, but people are afraid of me!!!! So it always works :)

I can be pretty scary sometimes hahahahhahahahahaahahah :twisted:

Just tell themit is very simple and easy to make you just need the right equipment: A hazardous materials self contained enviro suit, EPA approved ventilation system, and a veeeeeery good liability insurance policy. Then offer to share your recipe. I am sure you will have very few takers.

My boss quite regularly tells me that she wants all my soap recipes, so that she can make (& sell) soap like mine.

A few months ago I was having a clean out, and offered her all my M&P stuff that I no longer use, for free. She declined, said no, she'd rather just have all my recipes.

So, I gave her a links to a couple of websites that I used when I first started, and a link to the shop I order from, and told her thats where I got all my info. That's as much as I will be giving her.

Mind you, I don't think she realises quite how rude she's being, or how many hours go in to trying to create a great recipe.

No, people have no clue what they are asking for when they do that, you are right Becky.

I too direct the to a good beginers website.

Back