Avoiding U-shape top

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gsc

Reaction score
I've notice most of my hot process soaps sink in the middle while curing. Is there a remedy for this?

I haven't had issues with deforming HP soaps yet. Mine shrink uniformly, without bending, cracking or whatever.

Can you show us an example?

I guess you are already trying to keep water at a minimum? The less water is in the HP batter at the end of the cook, the less needs to evaporate and cause shrinkage. Also, a slow, controlled drying process at constant temperature and humidity can't hurt.
Then there is the recipe itself. Some oils support dimensional stability more than others. Soy wax is one if I remember correctly.
Fillers like clays, kaolin, oats, rice, loofah, or hardening agents like beeswax might counteract shrinkage to a small degree.

Like said, this is mostly guessing, since I haven't had to fight deformation yet.

Pile it on in the middle. :)

I don't have much experience with HP, but I have a rebatch type soap that I make regularly that had this issue. My solution was to make sure I piled a bit higher in the center of the loaf, and to cool the batter a bit longer before placing in the mold. This worked for my rebatch because I use liquid soap (that I make) to thin it into a more pourable consistency, so allowing it to cool doesn't make it so thick that I have to worry about "smooshing" it all together to avoid air pockets (or worry about air pockets).

Can you show us an example?
I think he/she/ze means like this. [edited to correct pronoun usage, I work with men so "he" is my default setting...]
1620769488531.png

This is the rebatched soap that I have since fixed using what I posted above.... just too lazy to fix my photos. Although some customers who regularly buy this soap tell me that they liked the curved top as it made a nice ergonomic hold on the bar. *I think this is because it's a mechanic scrub type soap with ground pumice, so they use the bar to scrub one hand and then the other, quite different from the traditional method of rubbing the soap between both hands.*

I agree with the "pile it higher in the middle" idea. That's the best way I've found to minimize swaybacked soap.

Also, within reason, be sparing about adding water-based liquids. Less water => less shrinkage.

Pears soap is oval shaped with a dip in the middle. I read somewhere that this dates back to when Pears first started making soap and this occurred naturally as part of the making process. Presumably nowadays they make the dipped shape deliberately because it is such an iconic shape.

Pile it on in the middle. :)

I don't have much experience with HP, but I have a rebatch type soap that I make regularly that had this issue. My solution was to make sure I piled a bit higher in the center of the loaf, and to cool the batter a bit longer before placing in the mold. This worked for my rebatch because I use liquid soap (that I make) to thin it into a more pourable consistency, so allowing it to cool doesn't make it so thick that I have to worry about "smooshing" it all together to avoid air pockets (or worry about air pockets).

I think he/she/ze means like this. [edited to correct pronoun usage, I work with men so "he" is my default setting...]
View attachment 57152
This is the rebatched soap that I have since fixed using what I posted above.... just too lazy to fix my photos. Although some customers who regularly buy this soap tell me that they liked the curved top as it made a nice ergonomic hold on the bar. *I think this is because it's a mechanic scrub type soap with ground pumice, so they use the bar to scrub one hand and then the other, quite different from the traditional method of rubbing the soap between both hands.*

I have your soap’s rebatch twin...swayback and all. 😂😂😂😂

Attachments

• 8A6FF416-0625-4336-A2B5-BE1F4EB06BEB.jpeg
    8A6FF416-0625-4336-A2B5-BE1F4EB06BEB.jpeg
    83.7 KB · Views: 5
Also, within reason, be sparing about adding water-based liquids. Less water => less shrinkage.
Agree. I use soap paste diluted 1:1 at 1% of the recipe. It's enough to match the rebatch pourable and boost the lather of the pumice heavy soap. Other than the swayback issue, I don't have problems with shrinkage misformation. This soap also cures for 60 days before packaging.

Latest posts

Back