Avoiding Seize?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cursivearts

Reaction score
Hello all! I had my first seize today when I added a eucalyptus mint FO I'd never tried before (from Bulk Apothecary, in case anyone is wondering). I wonder if anyone had any tips or tricks for avoiding seize in the future?

Specifically, I came across one blog post that said they added their FOs to the oils before they even added the lye solution! Another said to add a few ounces oil to the FO and then add it back in at trace. I was just wondering who had tried either of these and if they worked for you?

I've not used that specific FO before but when I make CP, I do put my FO into my oils before I add the lye solution. That way, your FO is already mixed in with your oils and you might get a little bit of working time with it.

With FOs that I have trouble with accelerating trace, I up my water and it has helped me A LOT in slowing down trace with these tricky FOs. I found this out accidentally when I was having trouble getting my color just right. I kept adding more and more until I thought "Oh no! I just added a ton more liquid to my recipe! I hope it's okay." Turns out it's completely fine, it just takes longer to unmold and to cure. I add around 3-4 tablespoons more water to my 2 lbs batches that are already set to full water at 38% on soap calc & just that much I notice a big difference in slowing trace. Also soaping cooler around 80F.

That actually makes a lot of sense, Wallflower. When I was making the soap today I had some green pigment dissolved in 1/2 tbs of water off to the side and the soap I poured in there and stirred stayed smooth plenty long enough to pour as a layer. I was soaping around 90, so it wasn't super hot.

I'll definitely have to try the adding FO to the oils first. That might help with the other problem I've been having lately: forgetting the FO/EO and not realizing it until the soap is in the mold. :(

What I do is bring soap to trace, add any colorants and stick blend, then add FO, stir by hand quickly but thoroughly and pour into mold as quickly as possible.

Latest posts

Back