Avocado Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoapDaddy70

Reaction score
Made a small batch of Avocado soap in a small Pringles can (slightly less than 500g of oils) and could tell it was too soft to cut after the first couple of days. Made it Thursday night and just cut it and it was still pretty soft and very sticky/tacky. I guess I should have waited another couple of days. The recipe was from a book and it suggested to put it in the fridge for the first 24 hours to prevent it from gelling. Any reason why it is still soft and sticky after 4 plus days? I added a green clay and a small amount of a pink clay to get some little specks of a different color in there. EO blend of Peppermint, Fir Needle and Rosemary which I am not digging right now because it smells slightly like household cleaning supplies. I am hoping that morphs into a less medicinal smell after curing. Here is the recipe. Sorry, forgot to add that avocado puree was also part of the recipe. Recipe accounted for this. Lye concentration with only water was around 40% and then 54g of avocado puree was added to oils so I figure that brought lye concentration down to around 31%.
Screen Shot 2020-11-03 at 11.16.43 AM.png

Last edited:
If your trace was thin when you poured and you did not gel your soap it could answer why your soap is still soft, so just let it continue to cure, it will harden. As for Avocado soap, there is no reason not to gel your soap in fact I would recommend it just in case you have left any chunkies, even little pieces, of the avocado when you pureed it, which is something you do not want when using avocado puree. Any, even little pieces of veggie or fruit can mold but I always figure during gel it will cook the little specks and I have never had any mold. For your recipe, you really could have used a 33% Lye Concentration without any issues. Other than the high CO it should cure out to a nice bar, although I personally would have upped the AVO to 20% taking away from the CO. AVO like OO makes a hard bar of soap.

Back