Avocado Oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dean

Reaction score
As reported in a single oil soap test, AO produces a slimy lather and leaves a greasy feeling on the skin. I know that soap isn’t moisturizing but can AO’s greasy quality trnslate to a “moisturizing” effect if it is used in lower amounts? If so, what percentage is recommended to get the “moisterizing” effect without slime?

Thx in advance.

Last edited:
I use AO at 10-15% and don't have slimy soap.

I have "chart" from Modern Soapmaking that suggests nourishing soft oils can be used from 20%-30%. I used less due to it's cost ($15/67oz).

upload_2019-1-11_11-12-27.png

I also use it on my salt bars and sometimes on my regular bars at 5-10% (if i run out of almond i use avocado, not the same, but i like both).

I recently tested one of my batches of soap, in which I had used for the first time, avocado oil. The soap had a luxury - soft, creamy feel to it, which is what prompted me to go back and see which recipe I used. It was the recipe that I used a lot of ad-hoc oils because I had run out of what I usually use. I added 13% avocado oil and I thought - aha! this must be contributing to the creamy feel. I then noticed that I had also used 17% shea butter, whereas I normally just use 10%, so now I need to run some more tests to see if it was the avocado oil or the shea that created this lovely soap.

Thanks to this forum, in my basic recipe, I replaced grapeseed oil with avocado oil at 12% to shorten unmolding time and increase hardness and haven't looked back. My go to guide says up to 20% (https://www.soapqueen.com/bath-and-...s-guide-to-soapmaking-common-soapmaking-oils/) I love the lather and it's not greasy or slimy. (Slimy lather for me is when I use shea butter but my wife loves the feeling, to each her/his own).

Im wondering how it will perform in high amounts (30-40%) and how much hardening oil is needed to counteract the softening effect of the unsaponfiables. Has anyone tried it in high amounts?

The fatty acid profile of Avocado oil should help you decide how much to use. Each fatty acid has properties associated with it when saponified. The FA profiles are what is used to calculate the approximate properties in a given recipe.
For an example:
Hardnes= Lauric + Myristic+Palmetic+Stearic acids
Lasting= Palmetic + Stearic acids
The conclusion I draw from that is if you choose hard oils or butters that are high in palmetic or stearic acids you can increase the longevity of a given recipe. Since Lauric and Myristic acids produce a soap that is soluable in water they do not help with lasting but do produce a hard soap.

Avocado oil is high in oleic acid as is olive oil so that's where the slime ( castile sliminess) comes from.

Watching the numbers is only one part of the art of soap making so try not to put too much faith "in the numbers". Each of us have own ideas of the perfect soap.

I like that avocado oil scores quite high in palmitic yet still brings the oleic ( admittedly not in the same amounts as almond oil) . It seems to me that it would also contribute more to the hardness of the bar compared to other 'soft' oils.

I like that avocado oil scores quite high in palmitic yet still brings the oleic ( admittedly not in the same amounts as almond oil) . It seems to me that it would also contribute more to the hardness of the bar compared to other 'soft' oils.

I was surprised by the high palmitic too. Its reported to be high in unsaponifiables which must cancel out the palmitic, causing bar softness in high amounts.

Definitely not sure. Although, I read it several places online so it MUST be true. Here's another single-oil soap test that supports your doubt.

If I recall Ginny's beloved shampoo bar had a lot of AvO and some soapers said it was soft. I'd go back and check but that thread heckish long.

Hopefully those with AvO soaping experience will chime in a AvO unsaponfiables and softness.

The fatty acid profile of Avocado oil should help you decide how much to use. Each fatty acid has properties associated with it when saponified. The FA profiles are what is used to calculate the approximate properties in a given recipe.
For an example:
Hardnes= Lauric + Myristic+Palmetic+Stearic acids
Lasting= Palmetic + Stearic acids
The conclusion I draw from that is if you choose hard oils or butters that are high in palmetic or stearic acids you can increase the longevity of a given recipe. Since Lauric and Myristic acids produce a soap that is soluable in water they do not help with lasting but do produce a hard soap.

Avocado oil is high in oleic acid as is olive oil so that's where the slime ( castile sliminess) comes from.

Watching the numbers is only one part of the art of soap making so try not to put too much faith "in the numbers". Each of us have own ideas of the perfect soap.

Thanks for this analysis. Very educative indeed.

Latest posts

Back