Avocado oil questions

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The labels on oil bottles often don't tell the whole story - and legally so in some cases. Cosmetic grade oils are one example as well - they can be cut up to a certain percentage but still labeled as simply one oil.

The soap lab calculator is one you've used all along?

I'm at a loss as to why you've had these problems now that it seems you did everything correctly. 10% of oil weight is a considerable amount to need to add to reduce the zap (unless you zap tested too early). I hope somebody else comes up with an idea.

Not really sure how the soap will turn out. I fear my last several batches may be a complete failure , and this is just as I’m actually getting interesed customers. A bit ironic and even more frustrating.
d
Please do not even consider giving away or selling soap until you really know how to make proper soap. If your weights are correct and you have the proper numbers from a good lye calc you should not have to add in another 10% oil. There is no problem with AVO in soap. I use it a lot and I superfat very low, even at a 0% superfat I will not get a zappy soap.

I may have ( only just a maybe I mind you) discovered part of of problem. At least with the first lye issue batch ( only 2 batches, but one was a big 8 lb batch) .
I am making a salt scrub today. I wanted or fancy up the ingredients but switching to pink Himalayan salt. As I’m measuring my oils I discover a coffee cup with about 3 fingers full of beef tallow . Now how did that get there ?!?!?
Fist guess is for some reason or another I did not add it to my batch, although I remember weighing out the tallow and I don’t remember ever using a coffee cup . In any case it needs to at least be concidered. But dose not solve mystery batch # 2
I think at this point fake oil is my main suspect. This of course takes all the blame off me.....unless you remember that coffee cup of fat

Also, Red Devil Lye isn’t 100%. So you will have some SF with that as well. Even if you had a 0% SF you would have some just the same. There’s something else going on. Ignore PH strips. They are useless for the most part. I’ve not heard of the lye calculator you are using. You may want to try the one here or Soapee or Soapcalc.net. See if it gives you relatively the same measurements.

Final suggestion, stop making large batches until you know what you are doing and find a recipe you like. 8 lbs is a lot if you don’t like it or can’t save it. 1-2 lbs is adequate as a beginner.

I thank you for your input and could do without the Chastising next time please

Haw !!!! I remember why the coffee cup of tallow was set aside !!
I had just dumped in the tallow and then used the cut to scoop some out to mix some additive in before adding it to the batch. Company showed up and I did not want to have it messed with so I put it aside to protect it ....and then apparently forgot all about it

I do know what I’m doing and my soap are awesome

Period

Last edited by a moderator:
So the absolute only way possible way to make a mistake is to have no idea what your doing ?? That’s weird

I did not post my resume . I posted to seek input I had maybe over looked or advise I may have missed. I did not realize I had to detail my entire life so the you would feel comfortable with my skill lever as to appropriately Lecture me instead of provide insight or advice

I stand by my statements, and I have no intention of justifying myself to someone who can only feel self worth when judging someone’s entire life based on one request for help. White I may point out you did not do. Your soul motive was to talk down to someone you never meet or talked to before. I am sorry you have no control in your own life and feel better by putting other people down. I’m fairly sure they have medication for people like you

To respond to the question of almond cream.
I must add a correction it is almond creamer, not cream.
It is made from almond milk. Dairy free. Delicious.

I assume a few you will want to judge me on this minor typo , and even chastise me for attempting to classify it as minor
Feel free

To respond to the question of almond cream.
I must add a correction it is almond creamer, not cream.
It is made from almond milk. Dairy free. Delicious.

I assume a few you will want to judge me on this minor typo , and even chastise me for attempting to classify it as minor
Feel free

I will not judge you. My soaps are all SF, but I don't get any zp from them. I use CP only, as HP is kinda confusing. I read a recipe that said to cook the HP for 4 minuets, this did not sound like a long time. I am also not sure how much soap this makes. I think they are all "sample" size soaps.

So the absolute only way possible way to make a mistake is to have no idea what your doing ?? That’s weird

I did not post my resume . I posted to seek input I had maybe over looked or advise I may have missed. I did not realize I had to detail my entire life so the you would feel comfortable with my skill lever as to appropriately Lecture me instead of provide insight or advice

I stand by my statements, and I have no intention of justifying myself to someone who can only feel self worth when judging someone’s entire life based on one request for help. White I may point out you did not do. Your soul motive was to talk down to someone you never meet or talked to before. I am sorry you have no control in your own life and feel better by putting other people down. I’m fairly sure they have medication for people like you
If this is pointed at me. First off I did answer the original post about Avo Oil. You are the one that mentioned it being zappy and you did not know why so just dumped in more oil. That makes one think you do not know what you are doing. I am not judging you, I really do not care what you do, but people that sell and give away bad soap make it hard for the folks that do sell. You would be surprised how many will complain that the soap they purchased was terrible. Putting you down, nope, judging you nope, just saying know what you are making before selling. It can take years to create fantastic soap. BTW, I have a lot of control of my life thank you very much for the concern. Bye Bye

I have a pack of ph test strips. I went back and tested every batch I have made over the past few days and they all are at a 9 ph.
I don’t know what is different today.
( maybe I need to change batteries in my scale)
Just for future, pH strips are notoriously inaccurate for soap. You need a pH meter.

I agree on smaller batches. I’ve been soaping for 6 years and still make 1 pound batches when trying out a new recipe or fragrance. It’s a good practice.

If this is pointed at me. First off I did answer the original post about Avo Oil. You are the one that mentioned it being zappy and you did not know why so just dumped in more oil. That makes one think you do not know what you are doing. I am not judging you, I really do not care what you do, but people that sell and give away bad soap make it hard for the folks that do sell. You would be surprised how many will complain that the soap they purchased was terrible. Putting you down, nope, judging you nope, just saying know what you are making before selling. It can take years to create fantastic soap. BTW, I have a lot of control of my life thank you very much for the concern. Bye Bye

I really don't think you should be personally abusive on the forum.
Everyone so far has tried to help you work out the problems with your recipe out of the goodness of their heart using their spare time to do so.
You have not stated your complete recipe and additives in a coherent way.
In your first post are saying you using Avocado shortening? If so, that would not be pure Avocado oil and the sap value would be different.
Zap and pH are not related.
Most people take a few years to perfect their recipes before they consider selling soap to the general public. This helps the industry as the public don't get a negative view of handmade soap that may not be quite up to scratch.

Latest posts

Back