avocado oil / olive oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lina

Reaction score
I found a cp soap recipe that has 22% olive and 20 % avocado oil. I am wondering what avocado oil brings to the table that is different than olive?

Thanks!

It's partly unsaponifiable and makes gentle bar that has quite a high SF without one already calculated in.
I made one batch with 20% avocado oil once and never again.
It was really greasy, mushy, melted quickly in the shower and developed DOS after few months.
But that's my experience. For some 20% avocado oil in the soap might as well feel nourishing, etc.

I've never heard that avocado is partly unsaponifiable, did you find that info on here? I've made a 100% avocado bar before and while it took a few days to harden up, it did eventually get quite hard and wasn't greasy at all. It never went rancid either.

For me, OO dries my skin a bit and can also leave it a bit sticky. Avocado doesn't seem to do that, it makes a nice mild soap.

I don't know if it's been posted on SMF, but my notes say avocado can have anywhere from 4% to 9% unsaponifiable content. That's high compared with the other commonly used soaping oils.

Avocado is otherwise similar to olive oil, but with a higher linolenic acid content -- that might be where the DOS is coming from. I used avocado at 10% to 15% in one recipe for a soap that I wanted to be extra gentle for my mom. Made a few batches of that and have had no DOS after about 1 year of testing.

I don't see a huge difference in the soaps with avocado vs. ones without avocado, but that's on my skin and with my water. It certainly has label appeal and does make a mild soap. It's hard for me to find avocado here in the boonies of Iowa, so I've gotten away from using it in soap, but I have no complaints otherwise. I seem to recall Carolyn (cmzaha) uses avocado quite a bit in her soaps.

I've use avocado oil at 5-10 percent in soaps. My skin seems to love avocado oil more than olive oil in soaps. I'd second Obsidian's comments, in that it makes a mild bar that is non-sticky.

I find high percentage olive oil really drying, unless it's cured for over 6 months. However everyone's skin is very different. I've never had a problem with DOS, even with soaps over 2 years old.

I'd be really interested to hear what percentages of AO others have tried.

I've heard in on here.
It could be avocado oil that I used, it's cold pressed. I bought refined last time by mistake and it looks and smells different.
I use it about 5% in my recipes. I did try 10% but didn't like it also.

This is all pretty interesting. I've been using Avocado Oil at around 10% for about 4 months now and haven't had any issues. I also use Olive Oil in my recipe too. I've found I like the combination better than using only Olive Oil.

Back