Avocado oil: It`s official, I`m sold!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tweaked one of my favourite recipes a coupple of days ago, and made two identical versions of it in soapcalc, except 1 thing - I did a switheroo and had one recipe with 20% avocado and no almond oil, and the other one with 20% almond oil and no avocado . The only difference whas the switch between those oils.

I did the avocado oil a few hours ago, it was HP. Later this week I will do the almond one and see if there is a difference to be noticed just because of that switch.
I think I will make a new thread about it, but to late now, it is late and time for bed.

Please do. I am interested in the feedback. My son's feedback is "it's soap!!!" It has to be pretty terrible to get constructive help from them. :mrgreen:
I cannot even finish reading this thread. All I can think of is, "YOU PEOPLE ACTUALLY WASTE AVOCADOS IN SOAP?" I mean, really? You don't eat the flesh of the avocado, you PUT IT IN SOAP? You are all absolutely MAD, BONKERS, NUTS!! Oh! The inhumanity!!! (Now, I'll go back to reading. BTW: avocado gelato is the bomb!)

ETA: although I cannot imagine using purée, I do like the oil in my soap. One of the experimental soaps I made last year had buttermilk and avocado oil in it. I pulled a bar of that out a few weeks ago and was using it at the bathroom sink. The soap was amazing. I'm not positive if it was from the oil or the buttermilk, so I've got to recreate the bar without the buttermilk.

Actually, does anyone ever use the mashed avocado you can buy prepackaged at the store for soap? I just thought of that. I've never bought that, I always eat the fresh fruit, but the stores have it in the freezer and some in the fresh produce section. Hmmm, that might be an interesting experiment...

Hi Teresa,

Of course I don't waste a good avocado (sometimes $3.99 a fruit and that's AUD!!) on soap. I use the oil. Not from the supermarket though because that is also $$$$. :mrgreen:

Last edited by a moderator:
Please do. I am interested in the feedback. My son's feedback is "it's soap!!!" It has to be pretty terrible to get constructive help from them. :mrgreen:

I will, good feedback is a great help! That is why I give my soaps to so many different types of people. Of course they don`t always understand I want them to speak lots of words assessing my soaps, not just "It is so great. Smells good too".
My dad is the worst, the most important thing to him is that it smells really good. If it does, it is a good piece of soap to him, lol
(*_*)
I cannot even finish reading this thread. All I can think of is, "YOU PEOPLE ACTUALLY WASTE AVOCADOS IN SOAP?" I mean, really? You don't eat the flesh of the avocado, you PUT IT IN SOAP? You are all absolutely MAD, BONKERS, NUTS!! Oh! The inhumanity!!! (Now, I'll go back to reading. BTW: avocado gelato is the bomb!)

ETA: although I cannot imagine using purée, I do like the oil in my soap. One of the experimental soaps I made last year had buttermilk and avocado oil in it. I pulled a bar of that out a few weeks ago and was using it at the bathroom sink. The soap was amazing. I'm not positive if it was from the oil or the buttermilk, so I've got to recreate the bar without the buttermilk.

Actually, does anyone ever use the mashed avocado you can buy prepackaged at the store for soap? I just thought of that. I've never bought that, I always eat the fresh fruit, but the stores have it in the freezer and some in the fresh produce section. Hmmm, that might be an interesting experiment...

If it makes you feel any better, Teresa, I haven`t tried adding avocado purèe in any of my soaps.

So - in conclusion - NO avocadoes have been harmed making my soaps!
All better feeling nao, yes?

Wait, avocado oil is from squished Avocadoes...
Ooops...*cough*

Last edited by a moderator:
Haha! I feel so much better. Ok, maybe not so much when you mention the squished avocados.

I watched a video of someone making avocado oil once and thought, oh my, why? Look at all of the salads and guacamole and just plain eating they were missing! (Can you tell I love avocados?) They are definitely expensive here, too; although not $3.99. I love when it's summer time and they get to be as cheap as .75 each. I eat them 'til I'm sick of them and then "just one more." Maybe that's the time of year to try out some avocado puree in soap. If I can just bring myself to giving up that creamy goodness... Nope, probably not. I'll have to stick with oil and conveniently forget how it's made. I just found out that you can eat the pit of avocados. They're bitter, but very high in antioxidants and other nutrients. I might have to save the pits for soap. I don't know if they would add anything beneficial to it, but they'd probably add some exfoliation action to it.

Latest posts

Back