Avocado Oil in HP vs CP

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gsc

Reaction score
I was given a HP recipe that calls for 50% avocado oil. Now I know in CP recipes that % is WAY too high. My question is if the recipe was done the HP method would that still be too much avocado oil? Numbers after running through soapcalc were Hardness 39 Cleaning 17 Conditioning 54 Bubbly 21 Creamy 27 Iodine 64 and INS 143

Last edited:
I make HP and use 15% avocado oil. I've seen it suggested to use between 5% to 30% in soap but I don't know what would happen if you used more than that.

The way the soap is made shouldn't make a big difference in how the soap performs after it's cured.

I don't make a lot of HP, but I've done enough to know if a particular recipe performs a particular way when made with a CP method, it'll be good soap if made with a HP method. And if I don't like a particular recipe, HP or CP won't change my perception of the soap.

I've made recipes with a high % of avocado although not as high as 50%. Avocado is a high oleic fat. Soap with a high % of avocado should have a low, creamy to slimy lather similar to an olive oil soap. It will be really soluble in water, so let it drain and dry well between uses.

What will the other 50% be?

I make HP and very few CP. The only noticeable difference in the making of soap between the two (at least to me) is if you're making a brine or a salt bar. Actually I'm afraid to try HP brine soap haha but HP salt bars are doable.

The only reasons I don't use Avocado oil at 50% is because it's too expensive and I'm not sure if it runs the risk of DOS over 30%. I tend to use between 20-30% avocado oil because I love it. Whether it is made via HP or CP does not matter that much, it should feel about the same once cured.

Back