Avocado Oil - 18mo old

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im asking for personal use only, I have read somewhere that oils made into soap at 0 superfat stops the chances of going rancid. Then can be rebatched with a superfat added. Has anyone heard of this or done it?

"...oils made into soap at 0 superfat stops the chances of going rancid..."

I don't think this idea is valid, LisaAnne. A soap molecule is the salt of sodium (or potassium) and a fatty acid. The sodium or potassium of each soap molecule may have some ability to reduce the development of rancidity, but even so, the fatty acid part of each soap molecule is still an organic material that can be decomposed by exposure to light, water, bacterial action, and metal contamination. It is my opinion that soap made with lower or no superfat has a lower chance of developing overall rancidity, but it's unrealistic to expect soap to remain perfect forever 'n ever. :)

I think a sensible superfat and the use of antioxidants (rosemary oleoresin (ROE) and/or chelators (tetrasodium EDTA or sodium citrate) are your best insurance against rancidity.

"...Then can be rebatched with a superfat added..."

Let's assume the idea is true that a soap with zero superfat is not able to go rancid. Assuming that is really true, then wouldn't adding a superfat make the soap again prone to rancidity? If the point is to prevent rancidity, why would one want to do that? I don't see the logic of this.

Last edited:
High Quality Extra Virgin Avocado Oil is rich and buttery. If you don't like the taste of butter I could understand, but to eat / use a chemical laden refined liquid in any application, other than motor oil, is not recommended.

I use soap made with Extra Virgin Avocado Oil too! Ultra rich and moisturizing. I then coat my entire body head to toe after showering with Avohaus Extra Virgin Avocado Oil...forms a microbial layer, locking in moisture, penetrates to the 3rd layer of skin, providing 8-15 SPF due to intense moisturizing of skin! Extra Virgin Avocado Oil is loaded with 27 Vitamins and Minerals, Vitamin E being the most abundant! Sterols, Omegas, all the stuff your skin craves is in the EVAO. Anti-Bacterial, Anti-Fungal and Anti-Viral, use it for eczema, psoriasis, any skin ailment heals much faster. Amazing in the bath and in the kitchen!! Highest Smoke Point of any oil - Avohaus Extra Virgin Avocado Oil from New Zealand, a non-GMO country!!

Skin is your largest organ. Whatever you put on your skin, your body instantly absorbs. If you use chemical laden refined avocado oil to make soap, your body will absorb those chemicals. That's why I use soap made with EVAO whenever possible - richest, most moisturizing soap I have found.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahem, wavyca, you sound like an advertisement. What stake do you have in this thread? Actually, you sound like the Creature from the avocado lagoon! Not a pretty picture ;)

If you have something to say I'm available. I'm not marketing to soap makers, I'm simply stating the facts about avocado oil. And by the way, cooking with Extra Virgin Avocado Oil is HIGHLY recommend...#1 Oil to cook with 500F Smoke Point!! If you use oil to cook with, you should definitely use EVAO. I also use soap made with EVAO too! Ultra rich and moisturizing.

I saw a post about avocado oil and I'm providing my responses. I ONLY use Extra Virgin Avocado Oil in the kitchen and bath and it's wonderful! Soap made from EVAO is ultra rich and moisturizing. Seems like soap makers would be interested in what a consumer has to say...I didn't realize I was going to be attacked for speaking the truth. EVAO is NOT refined avocado oil and should be treated like motor oil in my opinion. In the USA, I'm allowed to share my opinion.

Lots of people...read the thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have something to say I'm available. I'm not marketing to soap makers, I'm simply stating the facts about avocado oil. And by the way, cooking with Extra Virgin Avocado Oil is HIGHLY recommend...#1 Oil to cook with 500F Smoke Point!! If you use oil to cook with, you should definitely use EVAO. I also use soap made with EVAO too! Ultra rich and moisturizing.

I saw a post about avocado oil and I'm providing my responses. I ONLY use Extra Virgin Avocado Oil in the kitchen and bath and it's wonderful! Soap made from EVAO is ultra rich and moisturizing. Seems like soap makers would be interested in what a consumer has to say...I didn't realize I was going to be attacked for speaking the truth. EVAO is NOT refined avocado oil and should be treated like motor oil in my opinion. In the USA, I'm allowed to share my opinion.

Soap is not moisturizing....it is a wash off product. Also, you cannot prove what qualities would be left in the soap as it changes once mixed with lye and during the saponification process. Regular Avocado works just fine in my products.

I save the other for cooking.

That may be true but you don't have to sound like an obnoxiously opinionated representative for the avocado oil industry. To be honest, I could care less about the information you shared, despite its validity. The way you shared it leaves a lot to be desired and the fact that you have nerve enough to insinuate that those of use who use refined avocado oil make sub-par products is disgusting and leaves a lot to be desired.

So yes, you have the right to share your opinion but as consequences to that freedom, you better be able to take what you dish out as we have the right to respond accordingly to your opinions in turn.

Let's see. A brand-new member with only a handful of posts that sound like ads for whatever avocado oil industry or company, specifically this one: "Avohaus Extra Virgin Avocado Oil from New Zealand, a non-GMO country!!"

Wordsmithing, since I'm on a roll tonight with that. "EVAO is NOT refined avocado oil and should be treated like motor oil in my opinion." That says your product should be treated like motor oil, in your opinion.

And yes, to dis those of us who use avocado that doesn't meet your 'standards' is just plain wrong. JMHO.

Last edited:
This is hilarious. I actually do remove the pit and the skin before I eat an avocado. Just sayin :)

Latest posts

Back