Avocado discovery!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

navigator9

Reaction score
I've never been a breakfast lover, but one thing I could eat for breakfast every day is avocado toast. My problem is that #1, the price is not always right, and #2, when they're on sale and I buy a bunch, I try to buy one really ripe one and the rest not so ripe, and then they all end up getting ripe at one time, and I have to quick eat them all, and then I have none again. Well, I may be the only one who wasn't aware of this but.....avocados can be frozen!!! Yes, they can, did you know that? All these years and I never knew that. The texture isn't the same as fresh, but if you're making something like avocado toast, where you're going to mash them anyway, it's perfect. Just slice in half, peel, and pop into a freezer bag. I tried this today, and it worked perfectly. From now on, I'll be taking advantage of avocado sales. I'm a happy girl!

My favorite avocado toast recipe.......one mashed avocado, one mashed hard boiled egg, a good dollop of habanero hot sauce, spread on some nice grainy toast, topped with a slice of fresh garden tomato and a little salt. Heaven.

That is great! Exact same issue w/avocadoes, you buy several and then can't eat them all when they get ripe at the same time. I had no idea they could be frozen. Also, that looks like a pretty yummy breakfast :)

ETA: Do they go brown? Of course one of the reasons I buy them is to use in soap, I was wondering if this would affect that somehow ....

Yumm.... I had something similar this morning. A piece of bread with a circle cut out, put in the frying pan with some EVOO, egg cooked in the hole, with mashed avocado and sriracha on top. The bread toasts as the egg cooks.

I'll have to try freezing!

That is great! Exact same issue w/avocadoes, you buy several and then can't eat them all when they get ripe at the same time. I had no idea they could be frozen. Also, that looks like a pretty yummy breakfast :)

ETA: Do they go brown? Of course one of the reasons I buy them is to use in soap, I was wondering if this would affect that somehow ....

not_ally, today is the first time I tried this. I froze them yesterday. What I did was peel, slice them in half and put them in the freezer on a plate until they were hard, so they wouldn't smoosh all over the inside of the freezer bag. So the one I tried today was still nice and green, but I don't know how it will hold up over time. If you were freezing them to eat, you could always put some lemon juice on them to prevent browning. Oh, and I put them on the plate curved side down, so they'd be easier to pry off the plate once they were frozen. Worked like a charm. This would be great for guacamole too!

I've refrigerated them once they get ripe with good results, but I had no idea you could freeze them! Thanks so much for sharing. Now I'm kind of kicking myself for all of those over-ripe avocados that went to waste over the years.

P.S. Your avocado recipe sounds TO. DIE. FOR.

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1442449237.063801.jpg

This post made me think of this.. I saw it a few days ago and it made me laugh because it's so true (amiright Not_Ally?)

But apparently everyone gets excited about avocados

Being able to freeze avocados is great. Do they lose texture or would they be okay on tortas?

As far as the picture goes, In N' Out is overrated. Whataburger beats it by a mile. I love y'all Californians, but if you want to eat something good: go to Texas.

You are so right, Viv. Can I tell you how happy I was when wet stuff came out the sky over the last few days and cooled things down? And not to be sleeping on the floor in the living room right next to my little A/C window unit b/c it is not strong enough to get into my bedroom? That is even better than avocados, at least right now!

Also, In-N-Out is the bomb! Snappy, you are just wrong, wrong, wrongety-wrong :)

Last edited:
I'm not a big breakfast eater either but love me some avocados! Now I know just what to do with this big honking FL avocado one of my work buddies gifted me today. I usually buy the bags of 6 haas avocados at Costco and immediately stick them in the fridge so they won't ripen as fast. Will definitely try freezing next time we can't eat them quick enough.

I looooooove avocados so much that I even make ice cream out of them (the creamiest ice cream ever invented).

Also- I found a recipe for chocolate cupcakes using mashed avocado, but I haven't made it yet (found it on the interwebs). It looks really yummy! I have a feeling I might be eating them all by myself when I do make them, though. Hubby and son love avocados, but they are so used to eating them in savory foods that it weirds them out to eat them in sweet things, which is funny, because many other cultures only eat them in sweet things and it weirds them out to eat them in savory dishes. lol

To keep mine fresh, I've been using a trick a friend of mine taught me a few months ago: I cut them in half and place them in a jar (sans peel), pour cool, distilled water over them until they are completely submerged, cover the jar, and store in the fridge. They'll keep for up to a week or 2 this way (I've had one last up to 2 weeks before). They stay nice and green as long as they stay submerged under the water, although towards the end of that 2 week period, mine was starting to disintegrate some.

I had no idea they could be frozen as well. That would work even better for those times when I have a whole bunch of them. :thumbup:

not_ally said:
Also, In-N-Out is the bomb! Snappy, you are just wrong, wrong, wrongety-wrong
icon_smile.gif

I love In-N-Out, too. I've never eaten at Whataburger to compare, but I really should since there's one just down the street from me. In-N-Out has some competition, though, because Five Guys recently came to our end of town, and, well, just color me very impressed! Their burgers are so yummy, and their fries are simply out of this world- the best fries I've eaten anywhere, ever.....well, except for the fries at that little snack stand by the beach I grew up near in Massachusetts. In my mind, those can never be beat, but Five Guys come a close second!

IrishLass :)

They will turn brown over time even frozen, but can still be used in soap. A little avocado trivia, avocados never get ripe on the tree. If you are lucky and the avocados are not from Mexico, you can keep the hard avocados in the fridge for quite awhile to slow ripening, at least California Avocados not Mexico Avocados. I found this year avocados from Mexico have been awful. It is really against my religion to buy an avocado, being lucky to grow up with lots of trees in the backyard, but now we are down to one at my mom's and it nearly died this year. Fortunately the fungus was all cut out and the tree is coming back, Yeah, but I actually had to break down and buy avocados.
When you want to hurry ripening put the avocado in a paper bag and put in a drawer under towels. They will ripen in a couple of days. Just do not forget they are there :p. We won't talk about how many times I have done that...

Thanks for this tip! I also suffer from this affliction of too many ripe avocados and then none! Do you thaw it in the fridge for a day or so before mashing?

I like my avo toast mashed with a bit of soy sauce, cracked black pepper, and a soft-boiled egg opened up on top. tart cranberry juice to wash it down! ooooh my mouth is watering

I like In N Out better than most places, but Tommy's is still my favorite - Chili cheeseburger and chili cheese fries! mmmmmm

And yes I am going to freeze some avocados this weekend!! Thanks! Wow I guess we Calis are extra happy, the avocados are ripe and wet stuff fell from the sky this week!

Some years ago, when I was still able to enjoy avocados without burning a hole in my stomach, I used to buy those bags at Costco too, my fav ways of having them was guacamole or eating them as is with little salt, cayenne and lime sprinkled on top for breakfast. I still love them, just can't have them, not jealous in the least, nope.... Another yummy thing to make is avocado and strawberry shake( vanilla ice cream and milk and optional sweetener complete the recipe, this was before I became vegan).
I just used to let them ripen and then stick them in the fridge. Last couple always had some brown spots, but were still a good eat.

I love In-N-Out, too. I've never eaten at Whataburger to compare, but I really should since there's one just down the street from me. In-N-Out has some competition, though, because Five Guys recently came to our end of town, and, well, just color me very impressed! Their burgers are so yummy, and their fries are simply out of this world- the best fries I've eaten anywhere, ever.....well, except for the fries at that little snack stand by the beach I grew up near in Massachusetts. In my mind, those can never be beat, but Five Guys come a close second!

IrishLass :)

I love avocado as well! I could eat it all day long, every day of the week. It is seriously delicious, and I honestly cant understand people when they say they don't like it.
I had a serious avocado withdrawal when hubs was in the Army and we lived in TN. Sure, Walmart had avocados every now and then, but they weren't CA Avocados (which honestly, are the best, of course).

Five Guys just came to our neck of the woods as well ... But I still love In n Outs fries :razz:

Totally didnt know you could freeze avocados though. That's super awesome! I would only buy one or two because I was afraid they'd ripen too fast. Now I know! Next time I'll buy a whole basket full. :D

I looooooove avocados so much that I even make ice cream out of them (the creamiest ice cream ever invented).

Also- I found a recipe for chocolate cupcakes using mashed avocado, but I haven't made it yet (found it on the interwebs). It looks really yummy! I have a feeling I might be eating them all by myself when I do make them, though. Hubby and son love avocados, but they are so used to eating them in savory foods that it weirds them out to eat them in sweet things, which is funny, because many other cultures only eat them in sweet things and it weirds them out to eat them in savory dishes. lol

Avocado in baking has been a wonderful discovery for me recently - at first, I balked at the idea but it really is worth trying. I tricked my boyfriend into eating some chocolate cake made with avocado (no butter) and he loved it - now, had he known there was avocado in there, I think his reaction would have been sliiiightly different... :roll: I also use avocado mashed up really well as a replacement for butter in buttercream icing. It makes such a beautiful, smooth, thick icing!

I've tricked myself into believing that my baking is now healthy. I mean, it's slightly healthier, but it's still chocolate cake. And lemon cake.And banana bread... :grin:

I've refrigerated them once they get ripe with good results, but I had no idea you could freeze them! Thanks so much for sharing. Now I'm kind of kicking myself for all of those over-ripe avocados that went to waste over the years.

P.S. Your avocado recipe sounds TO. DIE. FOR.

I'm kicking myself too! I don't know why I never thought of it before, but this time, I looked at four avocados sitting in my fruit bowl, knowing they would all ripen at once, and I thought, let me Google if they can be frozen. And sure enough.... :D

Being able to freeze avocados is great. Do they lose texture or would they be okay on tortas?

snappyllama, they don't have exactly the same texture as a fresh one, so I would try them on a torta and see what you think, but if you're making anything that includes mashed avocado, they're just fine. Not sure how the texture would change after freezing for a longer time, or if it would. I looked at mine in the freezer this morning, and they're still green. Not sure how long they will stay green, but in the short term, anyway, they haven't turned brown.

Thanks for this tip! I also suffer from this affliction of too many ripe avocados and then none! Do you thaw it in the fridge for a day or so before mashing?

I like my avo toast mashed with a bit of soy sauce, cracked black pepper, and a soft-boiled egg opened up on top. tart cranberry juice to wash it down! ooooh my mouth is watering

This is all still new to me, only having tried it for the first time a couple of days ago. Just to see what the frozen ones would be like, I used one that had been frozen the day before, and I was in a hurry, so I put it in the microwave on defrost. But if you know you're going to use one the following day, I'd definitely take it out the day before and leave it in the fridge. Your recipe sounds good too, I'll have to try them with some soy sauce...yum!

Back