Average life of a bar

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoapDaddy70

Reaction score
Obviously this has been discussed before but it’s tough to search for such a broad subject. Since I am a hobbyist and don’t sell, I really haven’t been too concerned with longevity but out of curiosity I was wondering what people think is an average life span of a bar. The last bar I gave my daughters for the downstairs shower lasted 11 days which is around 22 showers. I know how to formulate recipes to up my longevity but don’t want to obsess over longevity just for the sake of getting an extra day or two. What are other people’s average lifespan of their bars?

As closely as I can tell, my bars last about 30 showers. But the lifespan will also depend on how big your bar is to start. Mine are almost always 5+ ounces.

Highly dependent on recipe and habits. I once bothered to weigh one bar, after each usage – the consumption rate was 0.5 g per hand washing and about 5 g per shower (body only, no hair). Divide bar weight by these numbers to get average lifetime.

ETA: I just realised how strikingly similar all these numbers are! 😀

Latest posts

Back