August 2022 SMF Challenge - Dual Swirl Techniques in one Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@dibbles: At least 2 bars. I am sorry I took so long to answer! We were on the road every day and by the end of the day, I just was too tired to log in. I just realized today it's been days. I hope you got this in time!
No worries. I took photos both ways and just needed to know what to use by entry time. If you aren’t home yet, enjoy the rest of your trip.

1. Mobjack Bay - the ideas are starting to swirl around in my brain
2. dibbles - okey dokey then!
3. Mx5inpenn - too many options!!
4. The Phoenix- This will be fun!
5. gardengeek - interesting concept...
6. peachymoon - I'm gonna give it a shot! I like swirls 🍥
7. Serene - am I late for this? Will do another try tonight.

The entry thread does open tomorrow evening, but people can enter up to the time the entry thread closes whichi occurs on August 30th, so yes, @Serene, you can sign up.

I finally got around to cutting the soap I made on the 11th (9 days ago!) into logs. I kept it wrapped this whole time so it wouldn't dry out before I cut it since we were on the road. Later tonight or tomorrow I'll cut into bars & share pictures. It was spin swirl followed by a butterfly swirl. I wanted to see if I could actually make a butterfly appear in the midst of a spin swirl & I did, although I wish I had lefter half the slab alone to be the spin swirl only. It would have been nice to see how the soap would have looked without the butterfly and in the slab, I think it would have been interesting to see it both ways.

The Entry Thread is now open. Please post your entries photos as described in the rules in post #1 in the Entry Thread at: Entry Thread - August 2022 SMF Challenge - Dual Swirl Techniques in one Soap

As a reminder, praise, questions and other comments are to be added to this, the main Challenge Thread and not on the entry thread, please. The reason for that is to keep the entry thread uncluttered in order to facilitate preparation for the voting survey when the Entry Thread closes.

The entry thread will remain open until August 28 at 11:45pm GMT. After the entry thread closes, the winning entry will be chosen using Survey Monkey. A message with the voting survey link and password will be sent to those who signed up for the challenge.Voting will remain open until August 30 at 11:45pm GMT and the winner will be announced on August 31, 2022. There is no prize attached to this challenge.

Thank you and I am looking forward to all of your entries!

Really enjoyed making my entry soap. Definitely helped that my fragrance oil was well-behaved and gave me lots of time to pour each layer for the tiger swirl portion without the final pours being thick. These are probably not the best bars in the batch but I’m out of town dropping my daughter off at college 😭😭😭😭 and my entry photo was the only one I had on my phone. Took the photo hastily after cutting the batch.

Kinda reminded me of the former fashion faux pad of mixing stripes with prints. 🤪

I did a two-swirl soap, but then I added a swirly top ... is that too much (or should I just cut the top off to enter?)

1. Mobjack Bay - the ideas are starting to swirl around in my brain
2. dibbles - okey dokey then!
3. Mx5inpenn - too many options!!
4. The Phoenix- This will be fun!
5. gardengeek - interesting concept...
6. peachymoon - I'm gonna give it a shot! I like swirls 🍥
7. Serene - am I late for this? Will do another try tonight.
8. Marsi - I ❤️ coffee

I did a two-swirl soap, but then I added a swirly top ... is that too much (or should I just cut the top off to enter?)
Marsi, I'm sorry for not answering sooner. Somehow I missed your question. But you already submitted your entry, so it is moot now . But if anyone else has the same question that has not yet submitted their entry: No problem. A swirly top added will not disqualify the soap, so no need to cut it off prior to your entry photos.

But you already submitted your entry, so it is moot now . But if anyone else has the same question that has not yet submitted their entry: No problem. A swirly top added will not disqualify the soap, so no need to cut it off prior to your entry photos.
I uploaded in the hope that Yes would be your answer!
(with the idea to trim and re-do the photo's if it wasn't)
Thanks for the clarification 🥰

The Entry Thread is now closed. Voting survey will be sent to participants shortly. I am thrilled that 87.5% of participants actually submitted an entry! I think that is a remarkable turnout for and the entries are all quite remarkable as well. You guys are going to have a tough time voting, I suspect.

I'll be sending out the voting link within the next couple of hours to the participants who have entered as of the closing of the entry window.

Last edited:
The voting link has been sent. Voting will remain open until August 30 at 11:45pm GMT and the winners will be announced on August 31. There is no prize attached to this challenge.

Good luck everyone, you all did a fabulous job on this challenge!

Unfortunately I did not get an entry made this time around. August has flown by! Between kids, soccer, school prep, etc. I've accomplished nothing,*I* want to do. The entries are beautiful though, voting will be tough!!

Back