August 2022 SMF Challenge - Dual Swirl Techniques in one Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made another soap to use as an example, but it will be a couple of days so so before I can cut it, so won't be posting the photos of the cut bars as yet. This one was a bit messier than the previous ones, and the process of taking photos in between swirl techniques got away from me. Washing up after each segment so that I could safely pick up my phone to take a photo was a bit cumbersome. So my photos include images that represent components of some of the steps involved to create those images that were missed.

For example, I forgot to get the photo immediately after the second swirl and did the top surface design before I remembered. So instead of the surface of the soap after pouring the drop swirl, I photographed the empty cup from which I poured the Drop Swirl. The finished soap 'ready for bed' is after the surface treatment.

So in this collage I include 4 images that show:
1. tools used for Column pour & swirl (spoon handle used after column pour and for surface swirl at the end)
2. soap after Column pour before removing the 'column' (before the added design using the spoon handle)
3. in lieu of the surface after the Drop Swirl pour, the image of the empty cup used to drop pour the white soap
4. finished soap after top surface design 'ready for bed' (actually kept in a drawer insulated with towels)

Next morning, I heated the oven & CPOP'd because the soap did not heat up much nestled in the towels. I'll give it couple of days then cut and take photos to post the result.

ETA: Now I need to review how to cut a Drop Swirl soap, since I've never done a drop swirl before, I don't want to cut it wrong where it doesn't show!

Oh, rats! I just watched a video that says the height should only be about 2 inches above the soap for a drop swirl, other wise it's supposed to fall to the bottom. But the bottom of my soap does not show the single color I 'dropped', which is white, so maybe it'll still be okay.

The cut looks like it's done with a normal vertical cut like with log molds, so that's what I will do.
I just unmolded the slab this morning, so letting it sit out perhaps the rest of the day before I start cutting.
We are here for 3 days, so I want to cut it no later than day after tomorrow. It should be okay to cut by then I hope.

Another edit: I went ahead and cut one log off the slab and cut that log into some fat bars and some skinny bars. So below is another example of a soap made using two different swirl techniques/designs in one soap. The white drop swirl did not fall to the bottom of the slab as predicted in that video I watched this morning, so that was a relief. In the photo most of the bars are upside down because I thought they stacked better than way and I do like how they look. Obviously they are not cleaned up, beveled, etc. That will have to wait until much later.

The reason some bars are fat & some are skinny is because I am experimenting with different thicknesses and sizes to fit into our small travel soap holders. So today I've been cutting soap to different sizes to come up with a prototype size that will work best for us.

Last edited:
I made another soap to use as an example, but it will be a couple of days so so before I can cut it, so won't be posting the photos of the cut bars as yet. This one was a bit messier than the previous ones, and the process of taking photos in between swirl techniques got away from me. Washing up after each segment so that I could safely pick up my phone to take a photo was a bit cumbersome. So my photos include images that represent components of some of the steps involved to create those images that were missed.

For example, I forgot to get the photo immediately after the second swirl and did the top surface design before I remembered. So instead of the surface of the soap after pouring the drop swirl, I photographed the empty cup from which I poured the Drop Swirl. The finished soap 'ready for bed' is after the surface treatment.

So in this collage I include 4 images that show:
1. tools used for Column pour & swirl (spoon handle used after column pour and for surface swirl at the end)
2. soap after Column pour before removing the 'column' (before the added design using the spoon handle)
3. in lieu of the surface after the Drop Swirl pour, the image of the empty cup used to drop pour the white soap
4. finished soap after top surface design 'ready for bed' (actually kept in a drawer insulated with towels)

Next morning, I heated the oven & CPOP'd because the soap did not heat up much nestled in the towels. I'll give it couple of days then cut and take photos to post the result.

ETA: Now I need to review how to cut a Drop Swirl soap, since I've never done a drop swirl before, I don't want to cut it wrong where it doesn't show!

Oh, rats! I just watched a video that says the height should only be about 2 inches above the soap for a drop swirl, other wise it's supposed to fall to the bottom. But the bottom of my soap does not show the single color I 'dropped', which is white, so maybe it'll still be okay.

The cut looks like it's done with a normal vertical cut like with log molds, so that's what I will do.
I just unmolded the slab this morning, so letting it sit out perhaps the rest of the day before I start cutting.
We are here for 3 days, so I want to cut it no later than day after tomorrow. It should be okay to cut by then I hope.

Another edit: I went ahead and cut one log off the slab and cut that log into some fat bars and some skinny bars. So below is another example of a soap made using two different swirl techniques/designs in one soap. The white drop swirl did not fall to the bottom of the slab as predicted in that video I watched this morning, so that was a relief. In the photo most of the bars are upside down because I thought they stacked better than way and I do like how they look. Obviously they are not cleaned up, beveled, etc. That will have to wait until much later.

The reason some bars are fat & some are skinny is because I am experimenting with different thicknesses and sizes to fit into our small travel soap holders. So today I've been cutting soap to different sizes to come up with a prototype size that will work best for us.

Love this soap. At first glance, I thought it was a take on Edvard Munch's The Scream. Wonderful!

1. Mobjack Bay - the ideas are starting to swirl around in my brain
2. dibbles - okey dokey then!
3. Mx5inpenn - too many options!!
4. The Phoenix- This will be fun!
5. gardengeek - interesting concept...
6. peachymoon - I'm gonna give it a shot! I like swirls 🍥

Cut #1 this morning. I planned on my second swirl breaking through the first swirl but because of the angle of my mold I couldn't get my pour pitcher far enough away from the first layer for it to breakthrough. I'm not going to post pics yet in case I have to enter it anyway. Can't even believe I remembered to take photos in the first place and talk about messing up a bunch of containers...!

I have #2 kitted up and will think on my procedure / tools while I'm school clothes shopping with my 14yo granddaughter today. I'll be happy for the distraction.

I realize just how right-brained I am entering this month's challenge. My brain needs specifics. Leaving me to come up with my own design is stressful. I guess I've spent too many years in the aerospace industry, which very process driven :cool: So thank you @earlene for pushing me outside my comfort zone 🥰

Cut #1 this morning. I planned on my second swirl breaking through the first swirl but because of the angle of my mold I couldn't get my pour pitcher far enough away from the first layer for it to breakthrough. I'm not going to post pics yet in case I have to enter it anyway. Can't even believe I remembered to take photos in the first place and talk about messing up a bunch of containers...!

I have #2 kitted up and will think on my procedure / tools while I'm school clothes shopping with my 14yo granddaughter today. I'll be happy for the distraction.

I realize just how right-brained I am entering this month's challenge. My brain needs specifics. Leaving me to come up with my own design is stressful. I guess I've spent too many years in the aerospace industry, which very process driven :cool: So thank you @earlene for pushing me outside my comfort zone 🥰
You are welcome, @gardengeek. Happy to oblige! LOL

I finally ran across a video of a soapmaker who posted a youtube video using 2 different swirl techniques to create a soap, so here it is if anyone wants a little more 'structure'. At the very least, it's a good example of how the second swirl can change the first swirl and turn it into a pretty cool design.

So I made another. It's becoming addicting. Which swirls can I combine and how will the result look?

As many of you already probably know, I rarely use lard in soap, but this time I did because we're traveling in areas without readily available oil varieties. I found one store a week or so ago that had a surprisingly wide variety of oils to choose from, but I did not think I was going to make any more soap or at least enough to run out of oils and want to buy more before returning home. Well, that was a missed opportunity. Anyway, like many of us here, the urge to make soap and create something new came over me and lard was the best option for soaping oils in the last town where we stayed. The only new thing I could add now would be more Coconut oil, as I've used it all up now as well. I am not out of OO nor of HO Canola, and still have lard left. I do have some sugar packets, but ran out of PKO two soaps ago.

Anyway, I made a high lard soap, doing a Spin Swirl (without a lazy susan) followed by a butterfly hanger swirl. I have not cut the soap yet, and hope to do that today. I was shocked at how quickly this got hard! Basically it was CPOP'd (aka Hot Car processed since the mold was insulated in cardboard box inside my car for full day). Not shocked by the long amount of working time, though. I've read enough on here from the lardinators about how lard gives them extensive time for swirling and expected that. But even so, it was nice having a lot of working time, which I really am not used to having. So I am thinking this is the last one because we depart for Texas tomorrow & then a couple days visit with family followed by the roadtrip home with Kitty Baby. I can make soap in hotel rooms when it's just me & her, but Hubby, me and Kitty Baby in a hotel room without a separate kitchen, probably not going to happen!

When I can, I'll post photos of this soap. I am curious how a butterfly swirl alters a spin swirl and if I'll even be able to see a butterfly at all.

@earlene the zebra pour would be considered a swirl? I did that on one attempt, then second guessed myself and swirled it twice because the zebra felt more like a line pour than a swirl.
Uh, I sure hope she says it's ok because the zebra swirl was one of my "swirls" used in my entry!

I did go by this quote of hers to give me the green light to use the tiger swirl: "Since the purpose of the Kiss Pour is to create unique swirls in soap, then, yes, it is. Any technique or method of pouring soap whether it be called a 'pour' or a 'swirl' or a 'technique' that creates a design swirl within the soap will fit the definition of a swirl as used in this challenge."

So it appears that the within the rules guidelines, the "swirl" can be created by either the pour or manually (i.e., using a spoon, chopstick, hander, etc.).

@earlene the zebra pour would be considered a swirl? I did that on one attempt, then second guessed myself and swirled it twice because the zebra felt more like a line pour than a swirl.
Yes, because it does not result in a straight line design. The method of the pour creates movement, which can vary greatly depending on how the pour is done, but movement none-the-less, so in this challenge it does qualify as a swirl technique.
Uh, I sure hope she says it's ok because the zebra swirl was one of my "swirls" used in my entry!

I did go by this quote of hers to give me the green light to use the tiger swirl: "Since the purpose of the Kiss Pour is to create unique swirls in soap, then, yes, it is. Any technique or method of pouring soap whether it be called a 'pour' or a 'swirl' or a 'technique' that creates a design swirl within the soap will fit the definition of a swirl as used in this challenge."

So it appears that the within the rules guidelines, the "swirl" can be created by either the pour or manually (i.e., using a spoon, chopstick, hander, etc.).
Yes, tiger swirl or zebra swirl qualifies.

You guys sure are challenging yourselves. I love it. Remember to ask if you are in doubt. Second-guessing and overthinking is something we do, but please, when in doubt just ask.

Does a peacock swirl count as one swirl or two? It takes two passes with a skewer or using a comb+skewer to make the pattern.
Good question, @Mobjack Bay, and I have to admit I did think of that but didn't think to pre-emptively answer the question before someone asked.

The peacock swirl counts as one swirl for the intents and purpose of this challenge.

After all, the goal of this challenge is to create something new to your experience by combining two swirls that are normally done alone and not in combination. So although the peacock swirl did technically start out as one swirl which was then changed by another swirl in addition to the first, and it is now routinely done by a great many soapmakers, in this challenge it would count as 'one swirl' and not two.

In other words, if you only did a peacock swirl and quit, it wouldn't qualify as an entry, even if it appears to be the best peacock swirl of all time. But if you do a peacock swirl and then add another swirl on top of that which alters the peacock swirl, changing the design, that would qualify.

I need to have photos taken and my entry ready to go as we will be taking a family vacation starting this weekend. Looking over the photo rules again, @earlene - are we to have a photo of only two bars from our batch, or of at least two bars from our batch (meaning more than 2 bars can be included).

Latest posts

Back