August 2020 SMF Challenge - Zig Zag Cosmic Wave Technique Entry Thread

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dibbles

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Post your entry photos here. You have until August 27 at 11:59 GMT to submit your entry, so there is still plenty of time! As a reminder, this thread is for entry photos only. Please post all comments in the general challenge thread.

Good luck everyone - I'm looking forward to seeing your creations!

Ok, I'll break the Ice.
It was my very first challenge. This is a very tricky method and it takes practice. I only managed to "successfully" make it on the 4th try. But It was fun and I learnt A LOT.
I might still update the photo later. But I'm happy with my creation. Considering it's my fist challenge.

All the best of luck to everyone. 🍀 I cant wait to see everyone's Photos

IMG_20200822_141929.jpg

Ok me next. I hope photography skills dont count against me lol.

This is my lard bar recipe 80/20. I chose this recipe mainly because its one of my main recipes that i use all the time and I know its easy to work with. And since its my third attempt i didnt want to waste any expensive oils on yet another fugly bar.

Cranberry spice FO, which I really could have used more, but it was so strong oob. Colors are MM Angry Rose and Champagne...wasnt going to mess with the TD. We have a bad history together lol. I stuck with two colors because after my last two attempts...3 turned out to be out of my skillset.

I really need two more pitchers with pouring spouts. I separated the two colors into regular pitchers, and then into the pouring pitchers to work with. Which made it hard to do because i hade to pour higher and down the side, and eventually down the side got muddy looking. It would have been nicer to get down in there with the pours and not make a whole river of mixed up colors down the side of the pitcher.

I think these would be a good design for a red wine fragrance.

I think the one on the top left looks like a slab of beef lol

1A4A8D1D-71B9-4494-83AF-E0F0776F205B.jpeg

The first photo below is my entry... for now. I may change my mind, but I want to get these posted rather than waiting till the last minute and being stressed. The ashy unmolding pic is below that just for fun, bc it's kinda cool, IMO. While these may look like they are black and white photos, they aren't - the color palette was white (TD), black (charcoal), and grey (mix).

fullsizeoutput_e8c.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_e8d.jpeg

Last edited:
This was a first-time challenge for me as well. I was disappointed by the way the colors muddled together as I poured, but was quite pleased to find a more distinct pattern when I planed the tops of the bars later.

Fragrance is Bamboo Teak from WSP. Colorants are titanium dioxide, charcoal, and Apple Moss mica from BB.

This was such a great chance to try out a technique that I otherwise probably wouldn't have attempted. Excited to see everyone else's entries! 😊

Attachments

• 20200823_203932.jpg
    20200823_203932.jpg
    382.1 KB · Views: 91
I did 4 attempts at this challenge. This is the one I chose for my entry as I think it demonstrates the wave better than my others. Debating whether to try one more today as I have a color idea I’d like to try but since I’m using a slow moving recipe I’m not sure I would have time to unmold and clean them up...I scented this soap with Eucalyptus Peppermint
D29407B6-D55B-4DC7-B4D6-DF09E3680D2A.png

I made two batches and had hoped to try again, but with the kids starting school it hasn't happened! Not super happy with any of my tries....I think this is one that takes some practice! I enjoyed it so will continue to use the technique on a couple of batches in the next week or two and try to get a little more definition in the waves and not so much "mud"!

Here is my entry -
IMG_20200825_123749366_PORTRAIT.jpg

It is colored with NS Black Brazilian Clay and NS Trial by Fire mica. Scented with NG Black Raspberry Vanilla.

And here is the side view - if I had planed the top off they may have shown more definition, but the one batch I tried to plane by hand with a knife didn't look so pretty! LOL

IMG_20200825_123824873_PORTRAIT.jpg

That is
I did 4 attempts at this challenge. This is the one I chose for my entry as I think it demonstrates the wave better than my others. Debating whether to try one more today as I have a color idea I’d like to try but since I’m using a slow moving recipe I’m not sure I would have time to unmold and clean them up...I scented this soap with Eucalyptus Peppermint View attachment 48911
😍😍😍

I did 4 attempts at this challenge. This is the one I chose for my entry as I think it demonstrates the wave better than my others. Debating whether to try one more today as I have a color idea I’d like to try but since I’m using a slow moving recipe I’m not sure I would have time to unmold and clean them up...I scented this soap with Eucalyptus Peppermint View attachment 48911
. Wow!! I love the colors. And what a great job!!

I over blended a bit and my batter traced too thick when pouring. You can see the down one is a bit muddy because my batter was already heavy trace then. I was about to give up but upon cutting the soap open it actually didn't look too bad. The upper one is almost decent.
On the hind sight, should've used a black background instead of a light colored one but I had to take the photo before leaving for work. Oh well. At least I made it in time.
Scented with China Rain from NG
微信图片_20200826102843.jpg

View attachment 48909

It only took 6 try’s. 😁

Please use photo above. Sorry for the poor photography. If it is cured enough to cut I’ll change photo before deadline. Thanks.

Below is the cut and the one I’d like considered for the competition. This was a wonderful experience. I’ll be looking forward to the next challenge. Fragrance oil Hipster.
2C7C0C20-5198-479C-BC2F-97A2ED27D24C.png

Latest posts

Back