August 2019 SMF Challenge- Summer memory

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Mobjack Bay your embeds turned out perfectly. This is such a beautiful soap, and a sweet memory of a perfect day with your son.

@msunnerstood your soap is just lovely. Because you always do HP, I assume that is what this is. Your skill with HP is outstanding. And I remember you posting something when those kittens were born.

@Mobjack Bay your embeds turned out perfectly. This is such a beautiful soap, and a sweet memory of a perfect day with your son.

@msunnerstood your soap is just lovely. Because you always do HP, I assume that is what this is. Your skill with HP is outstanding. And I remember you posting something when those kittens were born.
Thank you so much! Yes, its HP. All of the kittens have been adopted into great families but I sure miss them. Mama cat was spayed and released so she is still around

I love your entry too. Those colors meld so well together and the gentleness of the swirl. Beautiful

@MarnieSoapien There’s nothing like a blackberry cobbler made with the giant, sweet blackberries that grow so well in the PNW. Your soap and story bring back some good memories for me, too, of time spent on the Oregon coast picking blackberries. Your colors and swirls are very pretty.

Sitting on a Dock of the Bay

In 2001, we had the good fortune to travel as a family to a small town on the west coast of France. My former husband had been invited to perform at a regional music festival and it was an opportunity we simply could not pass up. The town sits just a little southwest of Bordeaux, on the shore of Arcachon Bay, which is one of the world’s most famous areas for oyster aquaculture. That was reason enough for me to go! Our time there was filled with music, friends and good meals. Oysters were plentiful, of course, and we also drank plenty of really good wine. I admired the Arcachonnaise architecture and shopped in lovely little shops for small gifts to take home.

As wonderful as it all was, my favorite memory of the trip is a day I spent with my son taking a long beach walk to a neighboring town for lunch and a chance to explore the working waterfront. It was the summer of his 11th birthday. He was at that age when children are getting old enough to interpret the happenings of the world around them, but are still young enough to do so with the innocence of a child. It was a day for me to see the world fresh through his eyes. It was a perfect day in the summer sun, with a sea breeze and no cares in the world. We spent part of our time “sitting on a dock of the bay, watching the tide roll away” and the sailboats sail by. This soap is my way of capturing that memory.

ETA: This soap was made with a 60% lard recipe working at RT, with Nuture Aromatherapy FO to help speed trace a bit. I made three batches - one for the embeds, one for the bottom 1/3 of the soap, and a final batch for the top 2/3 of the soap. The batter for the embeds was poured two days before I made the soap and carved the night before construction day. I tried to pour a flat layer of soap for the mast, but that didn’t work, so I ended up using a brown mica pencil line. I think having the mast adds a lot to the soap. I considered different ways to support the embeds in the batter, but in the end, I let the batter do the job and kept my fingers crossed. The micas are from Nuture.

View attachment 41121
Wow amazing details, just beautiful!

I'm late, I'm late for a very important date. Sorry! Survey is up and messages sent. I have to upgrade my phone from my current iPhone 5. I can't do anything on it.

congratulations-clip-art.jpg Great soaps and stories everyone!

Latest posts

Back