Aug 2018 SMF Challenge - Dancing Funnel Pour

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks @dibbles
I hadn’t seen any examples of multiple outline colors anywhere but I had such a cool idea so I just had to ask [emoji1]
I wouldn't say you can't do that yet. Wait for earlene. Or if you haven't tried this yet, do a trial with one color outline. That way you will have a better idea of how you can expect your design to work when/if you try multiple colors.

So little question for you @earlene - does the outline color have to remain the same if using more than two colors? Could I use multiple outline colors?
emoji848.png

Thanks!
I'm sorry I didn't see your question sooner. My car has been giving me trouble and yesterday (Sunday) the internal temps inside my car were a whopping 114° to 120°F for several hours during my drive. Needless to say, I was drained and exhausted by the time I reached my destination. Today was another bad day with the car, but I am sticking here in Evanston, WY for a couple of more days, (car-less) so will have time for follow up.

Multiple outline colors. Interesting question. I have not seen any photos of submissions to the Great Cakes Challenge in 2016 with more than only one outline color. There are plenty with multiple internal colors, but they all had the same background color. That doesn't mean it wouldn't work, only that it wasn't part of the design concept per the rules set forth. Nor does it mean it wouldn't be a great variation. ETA: link to all entries in Great Cakes Aug 2016 Dancing Funnel Challenge: https://soapchallengeclub.com/dancing-funnel-link-ups/

Looking back at the Great Cakes Soap challenge guidelines, which were really based on the technique as developed by it's authors, I'd say no. Here is a quote indicating the border color is one color choice: "each segment had to have the same color bordering it and the color inside the shape could only have one solid color". Now, if you do layers where say, the bottom half of your soap has one background color, but then the top half of your soap has a different background color, but you cannot see them unless you turn the soap over, then I would say yes. Clear as mud?

Let me consult with the other Challenge Hosts and get a bit of feedback. They may have some thoughts on the question that haven't occurred to me as yet. In the meantime, while we consult, why not try it both ways, and see how they compare?

Maybe you should try it, and then once you see how it looks, if you love it so much that you really want it to be your submitted soap, send me a PM with the photo and the other Challenge Hosts and myself will make a decision together.

Last edited:
I'm totally butting in here but thats what us Aussies are like.

Wouldnt this 'style' be based on the technique of layers of dots, more so than whether the background colour is the same?

Ooooo. Based on SaltedFig’s pic, is there a minimum/maximum size requirement for our dots? Obviously a straight funnel pour is our of the question but in a crafter’s choice 1501 mold can I have two dots side by side for my first layer or do I need more?

Using 1501 as an example since it seems to be a vapery common size and an easy to find mold. To rephrase, is there a minimum number of dots per 4” we need? 4” long seems to be a decently standard bar size if I’m remembering right.

Ooooo. Based on SaltedFig’s pic, is there a minimum/maximum size requirement for our dots? Obviously a straight funnel pour is our of the question but in a crafter’s choice 1501 mold can I have two dots side by side for my first layer or do I need more?

Using 1501 as an example since it seems to be a vapery common size and an easy to find mold. To rephrase, is there a minimum number of dots per 4” we need? 4” long seems to be a decently standard bar size if I’m remembering right.
No, there really is not minimum or maximum for size of dots. The main thing is that the background is supposed to be thinner, just a thin outline, while the center is larger. Sort of like when the pupils of the eyes are super dilated and the iris is a very thin ring. In the original design of the Dancing Funnel (aka cas the traveling funnel), the original soapers who developed this design style went with very thin outer rings and bigger inner dots.

But you could make little tiny dots with every tinier rings, or you could go with very large center dots with the thin rings around them. It really depends on how much space you have available in your mold, how cooperative your soap batter is, and of course, how patient you are with the process. The tiny dots take a lot more time and are more tedious work.

ETA: I just realized I didn't answer your question about if you can start with only two dots. Of course you can.

Also, when I made the DF in the individual molds I used much smaller dots because the mold size was smaller and I wanted more dots, but I could just as easily have had larger ones, but fewer by going with a bigger size. It would still be a Dancing Funnel pour, but I'm not sure the outlines would show as well with only two. Perhaps trying it and seeing how it looks is the best way to find out if it produces the look you want while still being a Dancing Funnel pour.

Last edited:
Here's my second attempt, done in February of this year. I was going to call it "Dancing in the Rain". The colours didn't have enough variation, one reason I wasn't in love with it (it's in my sale box now) but I also learned there's a fine line between too runny a batter and too thick a batter.

If I remember correctly, I did end up switching the background colour about halfway through, from white to the pale blue but it was because I had equal parts of all three colours and started running out of the pale blue before running out of the white. You use less of the background colour than the other colour(s).

DSCN1620.JPG

Nice, Misschief. Yes I ran out of batter when I used equal amounts of batter and switched part way through myself a couple of times. I remember learning I needed more of one that the other but remembered the wrong one. It's actually less of the background color and more of the center color. I should edit the video and fix my error in it to state it correctly.

zanzalawi, after consideration and consultation with the others in the Challenge Hosting group, and reviewing the original post in this thread, the long awaited answer to your question is 'Yes'. You can use more than one outline color for this challenge. It does not have to remain all the same color. In fact I am looking forward to seeing your result!

Mine is complete, and honestly, not going to be a challenge winner. LOL If I had time I'd redo it, but there just is no time.
I may be traveling myself when it's time to enter the photo for the challenge.
@earlene or @dibbles, can I assign a proxy to post for me if I am unable to do it, if I send them a pic in conversations, or send to one of you two to do it?
TIA

zanzalawi, after consideration and consultation with the others in the Challenge Hosting group, and reviewing the original post in this thread, the long awaited answer to your question is 'Yes'. You can use more than one outline color for this challenge. It does not have to remain all the same color. In fact I am looking forward to seeing your result!

YAY!! i took yesterday off and had a pretty good time trying to execute the design i came up with this weekend, really looking forward to entering it :D THANKS!
and also because my 2 color attempt ended up looking like salmon roe...... :D maybe the colors will change but... its kinda yucky LOL
i've been through evanston a time or two. that drive across wyoming can be so incredibly long. with temps like that in your car- wow, really hope you're taking it easy today!

'd be happy to do it if @earlene prefers it that way. Otherwise, I would think she can just put it in when she creates the entry thread.

Okay, I'll wait until closer to the time. We aren't supposed to leave until the 31st, but my hub might get a bug and decide to leave 4-5 days early.

If we leave early, I'll PM you with the pics. :) Thank you.

Mine is complete, and honestly, not going to be a challenge winner. LOL If I had time I'd redo it, but there just is no time.
I may be traveling myself when it's time to enter the photo for the challenge.
@earlene or @dibbles, can I assign a proxy to post for me if I am unable to do it, if I send them a pic in conversations, or send to one of you two to do it?
TIA
Yes, of course, that is perfectly fine.

I tried this yesterday, all of my squirts sunk into the previous layers. The soap looks like it will be pretty, but definitely not this technique. :shakinghead:

IMG_7893.JPG
If you plane the top you might be surprised by what you find underneath.
I'll try once it is ready to unmold, however the top to one of my squirt bottles came off in the middle of the pour. It caused a massive blob of iridescent white. I had no more background and far too much foreground, so I squirted the lavender in swirly motions until it was all out.

It will be fun to see what patterns were in fact created. I also had to use a faux slab mold (wine box turned loaf mold).

Here is my pic of my failed attempt.

Mine is not challenge winner either, but I will post anyway. My second try I like the colors better, and I used the same recipe, but a different scale, and for the life of me, I cannot figure out why is crumbly. So I leave it here.

Lots of work in these, not sure if I ever give it a go again ... but never say never I guess.

SMF challenge 08 2018 (6).JPG

Mine is not challenge winner either, but I will post anyway. My second try I like the colors better, and I used the same recipe, but a different scale, and for the life of me, I cannot figure out why is crumbly. So I leave it here.

Lots of work in these, not sure if I ever give it a go again ... but never say never I guess.

View attachment 31644
They do look very holiday-ish. The circles ar great, I wish they didn't crumble up on you. Can you smooth it out with water.

Back