Aug 2018 SMF Challenge - Dancing Funnel Pour

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not sure if I'm getting to mine, though I have the plans in my head. Things are a little complicated.
That seems to always happen to me as well.. If I don't do mine this weekend it won't get done as I will be out of town from the 24th through the 10th of Sept.

I'll be trying mine this weekend. I think it's supposed to rain tomorrow, so I won't be house painting. I should be out in the workshop finishing my hutch, but maybe I can get both done and still take care of my other to do lists.

amd, you mentioned in another thread, trying with the long spouted pouring cups. That's fine if you can't find squeeze bottles. If your aim is that good, more power to you! I believe the batter stays thin longer with less exposure to the air in a squeeze bottle, but maybe you could cover the top with plastic wrap to alleviate air exposure.

@earlene great idea about covering with plastic wrap! I'm only doing a 1lb batch to try this method out and using my cavity mold so if it turns out that my aim isn't so hot, I can easily switch it to a ribbon pour or itps without too much trouble and still have pretty soaps. As slow as work is today, I might have time to google for other options to get the same effect without squeeze bottles - in case my restaurant friend doesn't have any unused bottles for me.

I tried using the round cavity molds and it worked well enough. If I were to try individual cavity molds again, I think rectangle molds would be a better option. It seems it gives more area to spread when the centers are poured. This try was a complete fail. My second try is the one that got too thick and doesn't look right. I might try again, otherwise I'll go with the first one I made. It's looking better all the time now that I've made two that really bombed.
:rolling:

I made mine today. I didn't watch the technique before doing mine, but just watched a couple and mine was very similar. The batter really thickened up on my about halfway through making it. But I think I did a decent job. When I cut it, I will have to clean/plain/bevel all of them. I can't wait until tomorrow to see how they turned out.

Made mine today as well, the better stayed thin through to the end :) I started off with a well intended plan with the colors and ended with what looks like two random googly eyes staring at me out of the whole lot other of circles! Should be interesting!

I, too, am looking forward to photos~

Seven more days until the entry thread opens. I suspect I'll be home by then, although I only made it as far as Reno today. My car battery died at Donner Summit Rest Area and I had to wait 3 hours for a tow truck, but it could have been way worse. I could have been on the side of the road instead of at a rest area with modern facilities, and a whole lot more worse. But now I have a brand new battery and hopefully that will be the last thing my cars needs done for a while.

1. dibbles - happy dancing!
2. shunt - going to try (if I have time)
3. amd - it's been on my "to try list" for several years
4. Misschief - I've tried a couple of times, time to perfect the technique!
5. Scard - I can dance...not! but I'll try
6. Artemis - we'll see if I have time to play!
7. jcandleattic - Maybe I'll actually have time to join this one?
8. BattleGnome - mold size vs squirt bottle size....
9. Primrose - better buy some squirt bottles ...
10. Mommycarlson - you can dance if you want to! :)
11. Roselyne - really hope I'll have time to make it!
12. Redhead1226 - Gonna give it a go! Nice challenge!
13. jules92207 - I’ve been MIA for a while, this is a good way to“dance” my way back
14. Alzie- first challenge, time to put on my dancing shoes!
15. SunRiseArts - :p
16. Rowan- have also been MIA, but can't think of a more fun way to return to soaping than with a challenge :)
17. Zanzalawi - this has been on my to do list too, stoked to finally do it :D

Too late for this challenge probably but for Canadian soapers here is a link to great squeeze bottles. It is well worth the price to me because of the larger size and the wide mouth openings that allow easy fill and to get a spatula in there and clean out the leftovers. Confetti soap can pile up fast enough and by scraping out your bottles you can get an extra bar of soap for an individual mould so you are not adding to your scrap pile. For U.S. shoppers the cost would be even less because of the currency exchange. Of course then you'd have shipping.
http://www.leevalley.com/en/garden/page.aspx?p=75618&cat=2,40733,75442

I made my soap this weekend using funnel pitchers covered with plastic wrap (probably didn't need it because the FO was so well behaved) and cavity molds - the square pink ones from Amazon. This will NOT be a technique that I repeat again. I don't have the patience for it. I got bored halfway through, so 3 of my bars are the dancing funnel pour and 3 bars are ITPS. LOL, it wasn't a bad technique, just too fiddly for me. This is also why I don't make cookies, I do cupcakes 4 times a year, and I gave up on soap dough... although soap cupcakes aren't too bad for me. I can do those a few times a year too.

The plus side of using the cavity mold... I can let those soaps sit as long as I want to before unmolding!

Don't think I'm going to be able to get it done in time. I've been working like a crazy person getting things organized for my parents 60th Surprise Wedding Anniversary part on Saturday. My sisters were supposed to come into town to help middle of this week but changed their mind. So, it's just me and my daughter getting it together. At least I got the majority of my house all cleaned and pretty. Little bit left to go. Then cooking and decorating

Don't think I'm going to be able to get it done in time. I've been working like a crazy person getting things organized for my parents 60th Surprise Wedding Anniversary part on Saturday. My sisters were supposed to come into town to help middle of this week but changed their mind. So, it's just me and my daughter getting it together. At least I got the majority of my house all cleaned and pretty. Little bit left to go. Then cooking and decorating
Happy Anniversary to your parents. I'm sure they will appreciate you and your daughter's hard work. The end result will be well worth it.

1. dibbles - happy dancing!
2. shunt - going to try (if I have time)
3. amd - it's been on my "to try list" for several years
4. Misschief - I've tried a couple of times, time to perfect the technique!
5. Scard - I can dance...not! but I'll try
6. Artemis - we'll see if I have time to play!
7. jcandleattic - Maybe I'll actually have time to join this one?
8. BattleGnome - mold size vs squirt bottle size....
9. Primrose - better buy some squirt bottles ...
10. Mommycarlson - you can dance if you want to! :)
11. Roselyne - really hope I'll have time to make it!
12. Redhead1226 - Gonna give it a go! Nice challenge!
13. jules92207 - I’ve been MIA for a while, this is a good way to“dance” my way back
14. Alzie- first challenge, time to put on my dancing shoes!
15. SunRiseArts - :p
16. Rowan- have also been MIA, but can't think of a more fun way to return to soaping than with a challenge :)
17. Zanzalawi - this has been on my to do list too, stoked to finally do it :D
18. LiLiSoapz - I would love to try making something pretty and fun with my fifth soap. First Challenge wooohoo!

So little question for you @earlene - does the outline color have to remain the same if using more than two colors? Could I use multiple outline colors? [emoji848]
Thanks!
earlene is traveling and hasn't answered your question yet. I told her I would help field the questions, but in this case I do think it needs to be her call. Technically, the dancing funnel pour is one outline color with one or more center colors. However, this is earlene's challenge and she may not care about that. Just want you to know your question hasn't been overlooked, and I'm sure she will be checking in soon.

Back