Aug 2018 SMF Challenge - Dancing Funnel Entry Thread

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

earlene

Grandmother & Soaper
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the Official Entry Thread for the August 2018 SMF Challenge - the Dancing Funnel Pour.

Please post your entry soap photos here. You may introduce your entry as desired, with a backstory or description of your soap, recipe, fragrance, experience with the technique or process also.

Please do not add comments, critiques or compliments on this thread. This thread is limited to entries only. Comments about the entries should be posted on the original Challenge thread (here) and not on the Entry Thread. Thank you.

After the closing date Aug. 30, 2018 at 11:59 pm CST the winning entry will be chosen using survey monkey and the winner announced on Aug. 31, 2018. There is no prize attached to this challenge.

ETA: On Aug. 30th, a link to and the password for voting at survey monkey will be sent to all members who signed up for the Challenge. That will give participants two days for voting so the result can be announced by the end of day on Aug. 31st. I hope that will be enough time so as not to interfere with the start of the next Challenge.

Last edited:
Here's mine. It's scented with Satsuma (smells absolutely edible!). I used a slow to trace recipe that gave me plenty of time. I don't think this is a technique I'll be doing on a regular basis as it was really hard on my neck (I have a deteriorating disk in my neck) but it was fun doing a small batch.

20180820_074702_HDR.jpg

Not quite Fred Astaire, but I can dance!
44289576001_ac8206d149.jpg

They're reversible!
44289573521_87559dcf37_z.jpg

Scented with Comfort and Joy, a very well behaved lovely apple fragrance and the specks are ground walnut shell.
Learning to dance takes a lot of practice, I'll post pics of my other two attempts after I catch my breath!
down-smiley.gif

Oops, I forgot to say the FO is from Nurture Soap!

Last edited:
Here is my entry - scented with BB Fresh Snow which is a favourite of mine and always behaves perfectly. I have always wanted to try this technique so I'm glad we had this challenge to encourage me. I want to play with it again, I found it not too difficult though after the first layer I got a bit lost as to where to put dots, until I got in the groove. I found the key was making your background dots quite small. I have a few different ideas for variations on this so I look forward to trying it again
FB_IMG_1535539928610.jpeg
FB_IMG_1535539937427.jpeg
FB_IMG_1535539941279.jpeg
FB_IMG_1535539944887.jpeg

ETA: Entry information

I used California Candle Supply Volcano Type fragrance that @cmzhaha sent me to try. She said it performs well and smells great - she wasn't exaggerating! This fragrance was great to work with - I wish my patience would have done the fragrance justice. I used colors from Micas & More. I poured into the pink rectangle cavity molds on Amazon, using funnel pitchers because I couldn't get squeeze bottles that worked well enough without making a huge mess.

It was fun to try, but I do not have the patience for this technique - and I think it shows in my soap. I do know I will be buying this fragrance again. At first it smelled much sharper than CC's Energy, but now after 2 weeks, I can't tell the difference, and it's half the price! I'm really happy. (Oops, sorry... I rolled into a fragrance review...) My hats off to the exceptional entries this month, I bow to the masters on this technique.

20180829_195459.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reminders:

1. Entries will be closed at 11:59 pm CST tonight and the Voting will start thereafter.

2. Comments other than those within the entry posts themselves, should be confined to the Challenge thread.

Thank you.

IMG_3108.JPG
IMG_3111.JPG

Wow, gorgeous entries everyone!!

This is my very last minute rushed entry scented with lavender and rose geranium.

I think I prefer the second picture but had a strange shadow on the left hand side of the soap, so added the top photo too!

The Entry Thread is closed and the voting via Survey Monkey link & password has been sent to the eligible to vote 18 participants. Please check your Conversations for the survey information and vote for three (3). Good luck everyone!

If you were not a recipient of the information, please let me know. Being limited to sending only 5 recipients per conversation meant I had to send it 4 times to get all 18 of you included. I think that can be altered at some point by an admin, but it's already done, so I'll follow up on that later.

If you have any difficulty with the survey, please let me know.

The winners will be posted at 11:59pm CST on Aug. 31 or sooner if all 18 of you vote earlier and I get the analysis.

The link to this month's challenge voting on Survey Monkey is: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/S2CMD9Z

Thank you for your participation!

ETA:

I am working on solving the survey problems. The link above no longer works while I fix this. Everyone who voted before (there were only 2 or maybe 4 people who voted) will have to vote again because it will be a new link when it is corrected. Those of you who did vote, I assume were only allowed 1 vote and not able to vote for the top 3. I will update this thread as soon as it is fixed. Please bear with me.

I believe it is fixed. Here is the new link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/XMD2TYH
Same password
. Everyone should vote with the new link, even those of you who already voted, because those votes did not allow for the top 3, only the top 1.

Thank you for your patience.
Earlene

My sincere apologies. (Messages sent to all participants.)

Another edit:

Okay, for some reason, I don't know how, but that survey closed. But I have re-opened it. I am sorry. I don't know how that happened. Maybe my mouse ran over it and it registered without me realizing it.

But it gave me a new link when I re-opened it and I did not know that would happen. So here it is:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/N6QYWDL

Please vote for your top 3 choices. I am closing Survey Monkey now so I don't somehow mess it up again unwittingly. (same password - the second one.)

Last edited:
When I accidentally (that's all I can come up with) closed the survey, it gave me a new link when I re-opened it and I did not know that would happen. So here it is:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/N6QYWDL

Please vote for your top 3 choices. I am closing Survey Monkey now so I don't somehow mess it up again unwittingly. (same password - the second one.)

Sorry, folks.

From your slowly loosing it friend at SMF,

Earlene

Back