Attn CANADIAN soapmakers!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcleodnaturals

Reaction score
I am looking for AFFORDABLE suppliers for basics like coconut oil, cocoa butter, shea butter and EOs and FOs. I have read on this site that you can find coconut oil at WalMart...I'm assuming that's only in the US because I braved WalMart yesterday (usually I avoid that store like the plague!) and I couldn't find it anywhere!!! The only other place I have found cococut oil is at Nutters and it's ridiculously expensive (even the 'unedible' kind for cosmetics and soapmaking).

I have been ordering from MMS because they're prices are amazing, but the shipping is killing me! I have one store "close" (2 hr drive) to me in Calgary that sells soapmaking supplies, but when I did a mock order online with exactly the same items as I ordered from MMS it was over $100 more at the Calgary store (and that was WITHOUT shipping!!)

I'll keep ordering from MMS if I have to, but it's getting painful because to make the shipping price worthwhile my order has to be at least $100...gets expensive after a while!

Thanks for any input!!

Kelly :p

This is what has worked for me. Not only for coconut oil but also for several other items. Ask for them. It is sometimes that simple. I have a localy owned Piggly Wiggly grocery store 2 blocks from my house (how Alabama is that?) I use Kosher salt and one day while checking out I commented to the cashier that I wished they sold it because I hate Wal-Marts. She said "well, you should ask the manager if he can get it. If he can I am sure he will order you some." She sent me over to the customer service window where he was and I asked him. "Sure" he says. "Is Morton's OK?" Perfect" says I. The next time I went in, there it was. I did the same thing with coconut oil, and Killians Irish Red beer. You may be suprised at what a local business will do for you if you ask them, especially if you an established customer there.

Thanks edco76...

We live out in the boonies (our local store closed down in the spring) and the nearest city is large enough that the store manager wouldn't know me if I lived beside him! haha :lol: But I will definately ask the next time I'm in the city grocery shopping. I have a feeling coconut oil is not a real hot commodity, so maybe they have it in the back or something?! Like you say, it's worth a try!!

Take care,
Kelly

Hey Mcleod

If you have any ethnic shops or even in the oil section of your local grocery store you might be able to find coconut oil. I went to a health food store to look for grape seed oil once and found that the one designated for health purposes is more expensive than the one used for cooking purposes. I asked about it and was assured there was no difference between the two.

pink-north said:
Hey Mcleod

If you have any ethnic shops or even in the oil section of your local grocery store you might be able to find coconut oil. I went to a health food store to look for grape seed oil once and found that the one designated for health purposes is more expensive than the one used for cooking purposes. I asked about it and was assured there was no difference between the two.

Hi Pink-North...

I also did the same thing, but when I asked the difference between the cosmetic grapeseed oil and the cooking oil (and the almost $10 difference!) she told me, "Well, if I was stuck on a desert island, I sure wouldn't take cooking oil with me" Gee, that sure helps!

Anyway, since then I've gotten my grapeseed oil from the cooking section at Safeway, but I haven't seen any coconut oil ... but now that I have some other ideas of where to look I'll check those out too!

Thanks!

Hello my fellow Canadian! :D

I live a few blocks away from a company called CANWAX. They are a soap/candle making supply company. If it weren't for their reasonable prices and not having to pay shipping costs, I wouldn't be able to afford the art of soap making...well at least not on a weekly basis.

I buy coconut oil from them (76o)....18kg for $50 + Tax. Online orders get a 2% discount. But who cares coz shipping is going to be insane anyway...BUT... I checked the label on the cardboard box and CANWAX gets their coconut oil from a place in Toronto called "Marshall's" and they get their coconut oil from a place called "1-888-Bedessee" which is located in Brooklyn, NY USA.

So I'm thinking that if you contact (1-888-BEDESSEE) directly, you might be able to skip the middleman shipping costs and save some cash. I've not yet tried this but I'll give it a shot when I run out of Coconut Oil.

The label on the box reads:

Imported by Bedessee Imports LTD, Toronto, Canada (416) 292-2400
Brooklyn, NY USA, 1-888-Bedessee
www.Bedessee.com

Just wanted to add that I used Canwax as well. I'm not local to the GTA, so my order was shipped for about 25 dollars for about 25 or 30 pounds of raw materials. It was shipped quickly and arrived within a day (I'm only a few hundred km away). Overall, I was very satisfied with the service. I used their website at www.canwax.com.

Latest posts

Back