Attempted circling Taiwan swirl

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spenny92

Reaction score
I attempted a Taiwan swirl with a very mediocre outcome, but the final result is something that I do quite like! It doesn't look how it's supposed to, but it does look like little tulips on top I think! Cut photos are just a simple drop swirl, so nothing fancy.

Scented with Love Spell FO. Coloured with green clay and ultramarine pink.

11997925_10156244699440227_1581343703_n.jpg

11994270_10156244699430227_92947070_n.jpg

Last edited:
Spenny, did you cut this vertically or horizontally?

The reason I ask is because I tried a Taiwan Swirl 3 times and never got the look I was looking for. Each of those batches I cut vertically (straight down). Then I came on here after the third batch and someone asked me the same question. I thought about it and .... LIGHTBULB! I realized that in order to actually see the Taiwain Swirl, you have to cut your loaf Horizontally before cutting your individual bars out of the two (or more) sections that are created with the horizontal cut(s).

The patterns that your bars show are very similar to my first 3 Taiwan attempts. I liked mine, but didn't "LOVE" them as they weren't what I was going for.

Spenny, did you cut this vertically or horizontally?

The reason I ask is because I tried a Taiwan Swirl 3 times and never got the look I was looking for. Each of those batches I cut vertically (straight down). Then I came on here after the third batch and someone asked me the same question. I thought about it and .... LIGHTBULB! I realized that in order to actually see the Taiwain Swirl, you have to cut your loaf Horizontally before cutting your individual bars out of the two (or more) sections that are created with the horizontal cut(s).

The patterns that your bars show are very similar to my first 3 Taiwan attempts. I liked mine, but didn't "LOVE" them as they weren't what I was going for.

Ah, I actually came across this tip when I was researching. I actually wanted to cut it the normal vertical way, weirdly enough. There's still a little tulip on top of each bar, and the swirl didn't come out as planned so I decided against cutting it horizontally.

Thank you, though. If I ever do manage a proper Taiwan swirl, I'll try cutting horizontally. I think that's what I mean - I get confused with vertical/horizontal! I cut this one the normal way that you would cut a loaf - vertical, right? :oops:

so pretty! pink and green is one of my favorite color combos :)

Back