assesment

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

06cal23

Reaction score
Hi guys
Im new here but love soaping making and wondered where people get there safety assesments to sell cosmetics? As if i don't get one then the cops will be after me.lol

Dazz

Here in the US you don't need any such of a thing. You have to be registered by the FDA if you say your soap cures acne, skin problems or such. BUT if you make natural handcrafted soap the FDA can't touch you. We don't need any special government permission.

SouthernEssence said:
Here in the US you don't need any such of a thing. You have to be registered by the FDA if you say your soap cures acne, skin problems or such. BUT if you make natural handcrafted soap the FDA can't touch you. We don't need any special government permission.
Does it have to be 100% natrual? I make CP with FO's But make NO claims...

Lane said:
SouthernEssence said:
Does it have to be 100% natrual? I make CP with FO's But make NO claims...

No it doesn't have to 100% natural. I called the FDA when I first started my business. They said as long as you make the soap yourself, even if it's melt and pour, and you don't make claims that it heals acne or other skin issues then it's considered "real soap" and it's not considered a "drug". Commercial soap companies have to be registered with the FDA because of all the chemicals and their claims of skin healing so their soap is considered a drug...not a soap.

Here's what the FDA says about soap:
http://vm.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/cos-215.html

Most body cleansers on the market today are actually synthetic detergent products and come under the jurisdiction of FDA. These detergent cleansers are popular because they make suds easily in water and don't form gummy deposits. Some of these detergent products are actually marketed as "soap" but are not true soap in the common and legal definition of the word.

"If a product --

is intended solely for cleansing the human body and
has the characteristics consumers generally associate with soap,
does not consist primarily of alkali salts of fatty acids,
it may be identified in labeling as soap, but it is regulated as a cosmetic."
-FDA website

Just as a side note you can't even say lip balm is for dry chapped lips or lotion is for dry skin. Becuase we are not doctors and can't make that type of diagonis, and those are considered medical claims.

What makes me angry is the number of sellers on private websites and ebay making all sorts of medical claims about products they make. I haven't looked enough on etsy to see if that was a problem there.

LOL lol the number of sellers who make herbal balms alone is amazing, and claim it heals cuts and whatnot fast.... blah blah blah.....

I do think the FDA needs to monitor things closer to make sure people are following their P's and Q's.

Back