ashy white coating and yellow spots.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keekee505

Reaction score
Hi I have made a few batches of soap, some of them have ashy white patches on them, is this a concern? One of my batches has small yellow spots on it. does anyone know whats causing this and does it mean my soaps are no good?

Hello, you’re going to need to post pictures so we know what your seeing. White ash sounds like what it is. Ash. It’s generally just cosmetic and can be washed or wiped off.

Your recipe and process will help as well for trouble shooting.

the recipe was:
olive oil 7.5floz
vegetable oil blend 7.5floz
water 5floz
lye 2oz

I put a teaspoon of honey in the darker one along with some turmeric

Attachments

• 20201025_112312.jpg
    20201025_112312.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 20201025_112303.jpg
    20201025_112303.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 10
The first photo shows ash.

The second, if it is the one with turmeric, is probably turmeric that didn't get blended in enough. If that one isn't the one with turmeric, it may be spots of rancidity, especially if the soap is some weeks old or older.

You don't say how old these soaps are, nor do you say how you made them, so just guesses on my part.

thank you, the soap is about two weeks old. I made them by mixing the lye into the oil and leaving over night. the recipe i followed was not a good one as i didnt know about the soap calc at the time and I just use a recipe I fould on the web but now i use the soap calc first to work out my amounts. i also stored them in a hot cobard (which i have since learned was not a good idea) and i stored them on a mettle try with parchment paper under so basically i messed up on all fronts. lesson learned .
The first photo shows ash.

The second, if it is the one with turmeric, is probably turmeric that didn't get blended in enough. If that one isn't the one with turmeric, it may be spots of rancidity, especially if the soap is some weeks old or older.

You don't say how old these soaps are, nor do you say how you made them, so just guesses on my part.

Back