ash & single cavity molds?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I successfully avoid soda ash in my loaf molds. When I use single cavity molds, I spray alcohol on the top & cover with plastic. The tops do not get soda ash and all looks fine when I unmold them. But shortly after unmolding, the bottoms and sides get soda ash -- not the tops. Any tips for avoiding soda ash? Would leaving them in the molds longer help?
This is not a huge issue for me, I just don't like soda ash. Thanks!

Yup, I have to leave soaps in my cavity molds a bit longer to avoid ash, and also put it on a heating pad to force gel. Still seems like they get more ash on the parts touching the mold. Silicone ash?

Tops and bottoms!
Just to clarify - you spray the 'top' when in the mold and then this becomes the 'bottom' when turned out of the mold, correct?
In my case, I do not spray because i have found it not to be effective. The bottoms (tops) of my soaps made in cavity moulds always have soda ash ( mostly because they are ungelled - but not always) which doesn't bother be because it's on the bottom. But yes - the rest of the soap can develop soda ash (if not gelled) after being unmolded. I reckon just leave them in the mold a bit longer might help. Or CPOP them.

Back