Quantcast

ash & single cavity molds?

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

Zing

Reaction score
I successfully avoid soda ash in my loaf molds. When I use single cavity molds, I spray alcohol on the top & cover with plastic. The tops do not get soda ash and all looks fine when I unmold them. But shortly after unmolding, the bottoms and sides get soda ash -- not the tops. Any tips for avoiding soda ash? Would leaving them in the molds longer help?
This is not a huge issue for me, I just don't like soda ash. Thanks!

TheGecko

Reaction score
You still have some unreacted dye in your soap, so either leave them in the mold longer or cover them after you remove them.

glendam

Reaction score
I would leave them in the mold longer. Same thing happens to me if I use more water than usual, even in a loaf mold, if I remove from the mold the next day

AliOop

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Yup, I have to leave soaps in my cavity molds a bit longer to avoid ash, and also put it on a heating pad to force gel. Still seems like they get more ash on the parts touching the mold. Silicone ash?

KiwiMoose

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tops and bottoms!
Just to clarify - you spray the 'top' when in the mold and then this becomes the 'bottom' when turned out of the mold, correct?
In my case, I do not spray because i have found it not to be effective. The bottoms (tops) of my soaps made in cavity moulds always have soda ash ( mostly because they are ungelled - but not always) which doesn't bother be because it's on the bottom. But yes - the rest of the soap can develop soda ash (if not gelled) after being unmolded. I reckon just leave them in the mold a bit longer might help. Or CPOP them.

Zing

Reaction score
Thanks, everyone! I'll try these ideas. Happy Friday!