Ash question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guspuppy

Reaction score
I recently made two soaps a week apart. They were the exact same recipe except for the FO and mica colors. Both were cpoped overnight. The older soap on the right (made Feb 7, scented with 'daisies in bloom') has no ash except a little on top. The left soap made Feb 13 (grapefruit and bergamot) is ashing EVERYWHERE. (The back and sides of that bar are completely covered in ash) And also the yellow is discoloring. What is going on?? I used the same yellow mica (sunshine yellow from Nurture) in each soap. Also, I have used the grapefruit and bergamot several times before and not had this horrible ash problem. I always have *some* ash because I soap pretty hot in my freezing basement, but not like this!! The other difference was the left soap was done in my 28oz mold and the daisies soap was done in my 14 oz tester.
Any ideas??
B5D4E027-FC68-4F6F-B8EF-3F4CD2AA9750.jpeg

Ah! Maybe that is it. I remember letting everything cool way down for the Taiwan swirl hoping for working time. I have also been mixing way less to prevent acceleration. So bare emulsion is possible. Soaping hot in my freezing basement always has me accelerate madly. Bring on warmer soaping weather! 😂 Also the daisies soap has some silicone rash so I know it was much hotter. Thank you @dibbles!

@Peachy Clean Soap I always mix my micas in a little of the soaping oils before adding the batter, I don't think that's it

@Ford I always unmold after ~24 hours so they wouldn't have been different in that respect. I have thought in the past though that I should probably wait another 12 hours or day!

Last edited:
No, it shouldn't come back. Sodium carbonate (washing soda, aka ash) is something that forms because there's a wee bit of active lye present that reacts with carbon dioxide in the air. Now that your soap is older, there's should be no active lye left.

Latest posts

Back