Ash on soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

likeablelady

Reaction score
I recently posted a thread about how to remove the ash on soap. Had a couple replies, and I tried both ways. I waited to try my way last... (one I read about). I wanted to try the clothes steamer method. I didn't have to buy a steamer though, as I already own one. Here are the before and after pics.

Ash on soap before and after.jpg

Yes, steaming works great most times. Many do it that way. I embrace it if/when I get it though not often.
I have not experienced it much. I originally put a couple bars in a clear shoe box with a glass of just boiled water. It's didn't do as well.

Beautiful job, likablelady! Those green bars are really stunning.

Yes, Marshall, that's soda ash probably discolored by your FO. I get ash on salt bars EVERY time I make them and the color of the ash always reflects the color of the bars. If you want to get rid of it wet your finger or a soft cloth and rub it over the top of the bar. It might take a bit of rubbing depending on the depth of the ash. You can also use a clothes steamer as likeablelady did. Since it's harmless, you can also choose to leave it be. Beautiful salt bar, BTW!

Beautiful job, likablelady! Those green bars are really stunning.

Yes, Marshall, that's soda ash probably discolored by your FO. I get ash on salt bars EVERY time I make them and the color of the ash always reflects the color of the bars. If you want to get rid of it wet your finger or a soft cloth and rub it over the top of the bar. It might take a bit of rubbing depending on the depth of the ash. You can also use a clothes steamer as likeablelady did. Since it's harmless, you can also choose to leave it be. Beautiful salt bar, BTW!
Thank you for the compliment. The green is actually just Part of the color. I made the log with a swirl technique, and had some colored batter left that I just added to another bar mold to use it up. This is what the rest of the soaps looked like, (before treating the ash)

2-22-16 blue and green swirl soap.jpg

Nice bars Likeablelady! I like the colors, as you can see from the color of my bar I am still working out dealing with FOs "that may discolor" :). Anyway thank you for letting me squat in your thread with a question.

KristaY thank you for the input, I appreciate it!

Back